Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI: Can't see the connected devices in AP mode.

gabier1
Aspirant

ORBI: Can't see the connected devices in AP mode.

Hello,

I have devices wired directly to the Internet provider's box (Orange LiveBox) and others connected wireless to  the Orbi system. I needed to have all these devices on the same network, and my smartphone too, because I need to control both kind of devices with my smartphone.

In order to achieve this unique network, I reinstalled the ORBI system in AP Mode.

In this mode, the Orbi system is supposed to be transparent and the connexion of the devices should be directly to the Livebox Router.

But it does not seem to work in such a way. The devices connected to the WIFI network are not listed as connected devices in the Livebox router. In fact they are not seen at all.

They should be seen with an ip address 192.168.1.110 and following (fixed ip I have reserved for them in the Livebox) or between 192.168.1.10 et 192.168.1.100 (DHCP range of the LiveBox).

If I ask to my smartphone or to the wireless devices their ip address, they all confirm that they are connected to the ORBI Wifi network and they give me an address 10.0.0.xx.

I am quite lost ...

🙂 gabier

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI: Can't see the connected devices in AP mode.

No you don't have to factory reset, you can go in and log in to the Orbi routers web page and navigate to Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Router and AP mode. 

@gabier1 wrote:
Thank you for reply

The manufacturer is SERCOMM (a Taiwan based company) and the router's model is Livebox 4. It was designed for the french ISP Orange.

I understand you advise to reinstall the AP Mode of the Orbi system.

In order to do this I have to reset the ORBI to the manufactury defaults (in order to reaccess the interface) and then apply the manual to switch to AP Mode. Unless you know a more simple way to achieve the re-installation.

🙂 gabier

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

IF the devices are connected to the orbi are getting a 10.something IP address, this means the Orbi router is probably not configured correctly for AP mode. 

To configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@gabier1 wrote:

........ The devices connected to the WIFI network are not listed as connected devices in the Livebox router. In fact they are not seen at all.

Routers are not supposed to show devices that are connected to the router (wired or wireless) though an AP. Nothing wrong with this.

You should though be able to see the devices under "Attached Devices" in Orbi.

Message 3 of 9
gabier1
Aspirant

Thank you for reply

The manufacturer is SERCOMM (a Taiwan based company) and the router's model is Livebox 4. It was designed for the french ISP Orange.

In order to do this I have to reset the ORBI to the manufactury defaults (in order to reaccess the interface) and then apply the manual to switch to AP Mode. Unless you know a more simple way to achieve the re-installation.

🙂 gabier

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No you don't have to factory reset, you can go in and log in to the Orbi routers web page and navigate to Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Router and AP mode. 

@gabier1 wrote:
Thank you for reply

🙂 gabier

Message 5 of 9
gabier1
Aspirant

My router does list connected devices. If it gives an ip address to a device (fixed or DHCP) it lists it in the nertwork list or in the advanced settings.

Of course this is true in the AP Mode. If the orbi is in router mode, then I have to view the connected devices in the ORBI interface and only there.

🙂 gabier

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The main host router should and will list connected devices on this client table. The Orbi in AP mode is just passing thru data and device information to the router is all. Even thought the system is wired, this is how it will work. You'll be fine. 

Message 7 of 9
gabier1
Aspirant

Yes I did it and now it works as it should. I did not know I could access the ORBI router once it was in AP mode.

Also I do not understand why it had gone back to router mode. Is this possible if there is a loss of power or any other disturbance ?

Thanks for help.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can access the Orbi router in AP mode. You can look at the IP address it gets from the modem/router combo and use that IP address to connect to the Orbi in AP mode as well. 

The Orbi should not revert back on it's own to router mode from AP Mode. Even if there was a power loss. Let us know if it happens again. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7