Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Change satellite password

wvwalt
Tutor

ORBI Change satellite password

Orbi Satellite - can login to the satellites with "admin/password", even after I change the password for the Orbi router.

Question: How can I change the password for the Orbi Satellites?

Already changed password on router. Question concerns the Satellite devices. You can access the satellites by pointing a web browser to the IP of the Satellites. But. you can't change the password.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
BillYoung
Luminary

wvwalt:

You are correct as far as I know.  The satellite password must be the same as the router password.  Why?  The satellite connects to the router and gets all of its information from the router.  So the satellite at this point cannot have its own password.  Sorry about that.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 7
wvwalt
Tutor

Allow me to clarify. Router, at 192.168.1.1 has password of blahblah.

satellite is on network with an IP of 192.168.1.180. I can open a web browser, and enter 192.168.1.180 in the address bar and get a login prompt for the satellite. The login is NOT admin/blahblah.  The login to the satellite is still the default of admin/password. 

i would like to change the login of the satellite to be the same as the login to the router, which is admin/blahblah. I see no option to do this. Is it possible?

Message 3 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I will look into this and see if I can get a answer.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@wvwalt wrote:

Allow me to clarify. Router, at 192.168.1.1 has password of blahblah.

satellite is on network with an IP of 192.168.1.180. I can open a web browser, and enter 192.168.1.180 in the address bar and get a login prompt for the satellite. The login is NOT admin/blahblah.  The login to the satellite is still the default of admin/password. 

i would like to change the login of the satellite to be the same as the login to the router, which is admin/blahblah. I see no option to do this. Is it possible?

The satellite will sync with the router and adopt the same password.  For some reason yours has not sync'd up.  Maybe try rebooting the satellite. Also, make sure the satellite is actually connected/sync'd to the router.

Message 5 of 7
wvwalt
Tutor

Thank you. I understand what you are saying, and I agree that is the way it should operate. My setup is not doing that, however. I have re-synced my two satellites with my router, and they both show as connected to the router when I view the router config.

Password for the router is blahblah, which I changed from the default. The login on the two satellites remains admin/password, however, even after syncing. Connections to the satellites is good; I moved them closer to the router as a test. No change.

Message 6 of 7
jasc76
Initiate

Have the same issue

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7