Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI DHCP only works on Wifi, not Ethernet

Feasoron
Aspirant

ORBI DHCP only works on Wifi, not Ethernet

At some point recently, my Orbi stopped giving out IP addresses to wired devices I have tried factory resetting the entire device, but no luck; only WiFi devices receive a DHCP lease. I know the problem is the Orbi and not a network switch or bad ethernet cable because if I disable DHCP on the router and turn on a DHCP server (dnsmasq, running on a raspberry pi) every device in my home network gets an IP address and runs fine.  This is still running in via the port on the Orbi and out via the Orbi's internet port. Please help - I shouldn't need to run a DHCP server just to get ethernet to work and right now my Hue Hub, PS5, kid's PC and other devices won't work.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI DHCP only works on Wifi, not Ethernet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI DHCP only works on Wifi, not Ethernet

@Feasoron wrote:

if I disable DHCP on the router and turn on a DHCP server (dnsmasq, running on a raspberry pi) every device in my home network gets an IP address and runs fine.  This is still running in via the port on the Orbi and out via the Orbi's internet port.

Could you make a simple drawing of this setup to illustrate where all these devices are in relation to the router?

Any idea when DHCP failed?

I would be tempted to use the debug option to 'capture LAN/WAN' traffic and open up the lan.pcap file with wireshark to display the DHCP packets.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7