Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Firmware suggestions

sherveyjeff
Apprentice

ORBI Firmware suggestions

Running latest firmware - new Orbi owner as of 1 week ago.  Some obvious firmware/web console info needed.   In the main router console - for connected devices - list if it is connected to satellite or router and it's connection speed.  (Like Netgear Genie did).

Also please add functionality to give priority (Router or which satellite) the device should connect to.   I have 30+ devices on my home network.   One wireless XBox is upstairs near the router (1 bedroom over) yet it's connected to the satellite on the 1st floor.   Same with in the basement - one of my laptops is bouncing between 40-140Mbps and connected to the router on 2nd floor when it should be connected to the satellite on 1st floor.   How does a device decide what R or S to connect to... based on ping speed or ??.   Just doesn't seem accurate at times.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

hi

what size house do you have ads the router and sat should be far enough apart that the client will roam from one to the other as you move through the house , too much overlap and your client has no reason to move on its own

if you open the sat/s via their ip address you will see what is connected to each sat , currently the router shows all devices connected

pete

Message 2 of 4
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

I have a 2300 sq ft house.   Router is on 2nd floor in corner bedroom.   Sat is on 1st floor on oppisite side of house in great room that is all open - 12ft vaulted ceiling.   Yup - my 10.0.0.1 is my main router console, 10.0.0.16 is my Sat console where I can see Sat connected devices.   Just more user friendly if data from all connected devices is all available from one main router console window.

Sometimes I find that If I monitor wifi speed on my laptop like at my basement desk docking station - that if it's under 100Mbps (bounces around from 60-140).  I can disconnect from my SID and wait 5 secs and reconnect - and will be back at 300Mbps.  In basement I should be connected to my Sat on 1st floor... but lots of times it is connected to 2nd floor ORBI router - puzzling.

Message 3 of 4

2300sqft is pretty small and could be why there is too much overlap and the clients not roaming correctly , turn the sat off and do some tests with the orbi router on its own and see what the coverage is like

TBH its one potential flaw in all these mesh and DW systems has and thats users installing them in too small an area as if the overlap is to great then the will not perform as they should , if you cant get good coverage from a standard wireless AC router in such a small area then there are other experimental factors at play that will prob effect any wireless transmission including mesh and DW systems

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7