Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI, How many satellites does my router support?

KKE55
Guide

ORBI, How many satellites does my router support?

I have a Router (RBR50) and two satellites (RBS50). I'm planning to add another satellite. Will the Router support it?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KKE55 wrote:

I have a Router (RBR50) and two satellites (RBS50). I'm planning to add another satellite. Will the Router support it?

yes

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KKE55 wrote:

yes

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen other posters with up to 3 satellites. Depends on the size of your home as well. Larger size home may need additional. I have a 5000sq ft home, only 1 satellite needed. 40feet distance in between router and satellite.

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seen other posters with up to 3 satellites. Depends on the size of your home as well. Larger size home may need additional. I have a 5000sq ft home, only 1 satellite needed. 40feet distance in between router and satellite.

I believe the OP is asking whether or not the Orbi router is capable of handling an additional SAT.  Has nothing to do with size of coverage.

Message 4 of 14
KKE55
Guide

Yeap, I am asking exactly what @VAJim said. Thanks anyway for you both.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

And I responded with such info...

Size, range and coverage does matter.

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 14
keithcghooks
Aspirant

Can i connect three or more indoor satellites and two or mor outdoor satellites?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I think i've seen someone post that they connected 4 satellites. Not sure if using 3 indoor and 2 out door. Might be a stretch.

@DarrenM

Message 8 of 14
tydmeter
Guide

I have four satellites plus the router and they all work fine.

Bill_S

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, how do you have yours set up? Any Daisy Chain configurations? Or just Star?

@tydmeter wrote:

I have four satellites plus the router and they all work fine.

Bill_S

Message 10 of 14
tydmeter
Guide

I just have them in a star config. Originally I was unaware of the 3 satellite max. I purchased a fourth satellite and simply plugged it in. It immediately configured itself and has been working well for a couple of weeks. Whether there will be future problems I don't know but for now it seems to be working well.

Bill_S

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Was curious. Glad it's working. Ya, I presume 4 should be the limit. There is only so much bandwidth that wireless can do.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@tydmeter wrote:

I just have them in a star config. Originally I was unaware of the 3 satellite max. I purchased a fourth satellite and simply plugged it in. It immediately configured itself and has been working well for a couple of weeks. Whether there will be future problems I don't know but for now it seems to be working well.

Bill_S

Message 12 of 14
Aspen_za
Tutor

I have 4 satellites + the RBK50 router. 

Works just fine. 

Read somewhere on the forum that someone has 5 connected. 

I think the trick is when doing the initial sync, switch off all the existing satellites and make the router sync to the new satellite/s. After that has synced, switch them all on and do a reboot.

Worked for me! 

Message 13 of 14
Aspen_za
Tutor

*UPDATE*

I now have the main router and 6 satellites connected! This is a very, very expensive investment but well worth it.

After connecting the first 3 satellites, the other 3 have to be synced one by one. Disconnect (power off) the first 3 satellites that are synced, then sync one satellite at a time with the router. This is trick. Satellite 4/5/6 have to be done with the router only and just one at a time (powering each one off after it has been synced)

Once above steps are followed, power the entire system up, leave them to say "hello" to each other and within 5 minutes the entire system is up and running.

Took me about 2 months to get this right so hopefully I wilk be saving someone out there a lot of time.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7