Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Intermittent internet drops on WIFI devices only if Circle is enabled

LMF777
Aspirant

ORBI Intermittent internet drops on WIFI devices only if Circle is enabled

I have the last firmware installed and everything I have seen within the Netgear forums is Netgear is saying issues have been resolved with the latest Firmware.  I totally disagree. Current firmware is 2.2.1.210. Wifi devices lose internet access and we either have to wait 10 minutes for it to return on its own or select renew  IP.  The renew IP fixes it almost instantly but a pain having to this 5 or more time every single day. I bought this device specifically for the Circle capability.  Anyone else having the same issue or have a fix? other than disabling Circle.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

T

ry enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Set up IP address reservations for each devcies ON the router. 

Then configure Circle. 

Also there is newer FW avialable:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

@LMF777 wrote:

I have the last firmware installed and everything I have seen within the Netgear forums is Netgear is saying issues have been resolved with the latest Firmware.  I totally disagree. Current firmware is 2.2.1.210. Wifi devices lose internet access and we either have to wait 10 minutes for it to return on its own or select renew  IP.  The renew IP fixes it almost instantly but a pain having to this 5 or more time every single day. I bought this device specifically for the Circle capability.  Anyone else having the same issue or have a fix? other than disabling Circle.

Message 2 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@LMF777 wrote:

.......... The renew IP fixes it almost instantly but a pain having to this 5 or more time every single day. .............

1. Do you do renew IP on the devices or on the WAN port?
  2. Do you see the same issue with wired as well as wireless devices?
  3. What type of devices do you have attached to your network?
  4. What wired devices do you have attached to Orbi nodes?
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Do you do rener IP on the devices or on the WAN port?

@ekhalil wrote:

1. Do you do rener IP on the devices or on the WAN port?
    2. Do you see the same issue with wired as well as wireless devices?
    3. What type of devices do you have attached to your network?
    4. What wired devices do you have attached to Orbi nodes?

Message 4 of 17
LMF777
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model#   Fiber with ethernet handoff and homerun to RBK50

What is the size of your home? 4800 but this is no matter because everything work perfectly if I disable Circle. even when enabled everything works but at least 5 times a day I need to renew IP.  I have one Laptop running pingplotter to my ISP. So when internet is lost I look at the dedicated laptop running pingplotter and I see solid red bar (packetloss) on ever hop except the router. I also have the renew screen always open and I renew IP. Boom up and running. Now All that said I tried disabling Circle and for 5 days straight no drops.. SO I re-enabled and drops reappears within 4 hours . I let that go on for a few days then disabled Circle again and been 3 days now and no drops.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? maybe 20 feet.

What channels are you using? 6 and 48 for 5G
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? No 
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings Already did that no difference

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). SAme thing I read this suggestion and no difference

Set up IP address reservations for each devcies ON the router.  I set Reservation for ever device (thought I might have been a IP conflict but NO it is not an IP conflict)

I will try upgrading the firmware 2.3.0.32 I did not know there was a high version.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close between the router and satellites. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Let us know how it goes with newer FW. 

@LMF777 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model#   Fiber with ethernet handoff and homerun to RBK50

What is the size of your home? 4800 but this is no matter because everything work perfectly if I disable Circle. even when enabled everything works but at least 5 times a day I need to renew IP.  I have one Laptop running pingplotter to my ISP. So when internet is lost I look at the dedicated laptop running pingplotter and I see solid red bar (packetloss) on ever hop except the router. I also have the renew screen always open and I renew IP. Boom up and running. Now All that said I tried disabling Circle and for 5 days straight no drops.. SO I re-enabled and drops reappears within 4 hours . I let that go on for a few days then disabled Circle again and been 3 days now and no drops.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? maybe 20 feet.

What channels are you using? 6 and 48 for 5G
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? No 
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings Already did that no difference

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). SAme thing I read this suggestion and no difference

Set up IP address reservations for each devcies ON the router.  I set Reservation for ever device (thought I might have been a IP conflict but NO it is not an IP conflict)

I will try upgrading the firmware 2.3.0.32 I did not know there was a high version.

Message 6 of 17
LMF777
Aspirant

Well, I gave this another good faith effort. Satellite is `35 feet away.  Still drops wifi only devices when Circle is enabled. I even tried turning off the satellite altogether and still the same thing when Circle is enabled I have all WIFI devices losing internet at least 5 times each day. There does not seem to be any pattern of when it happens not X number of minutes or hours between drops nor the devices connected. I even went so far as enabling one device at a time. no matter what devices is using wifi at some point in the day it will lose the internet but only if circle is enabled.  Devices types the oldest device is a Samsung S6 newest device is Samsung S9+, several Amazon FiresTV  and one Nvidia shield.  Less than 2 years old computers and Laptops. Speed does not seem to be affected with Circle enabled or not. The biggest thing is I have three kids and without Circle internet monitoring or Bedtime schedules are all shot to hell. I specifically Purchased this for Circle integration. As it is right now if I have it enabled yea the controls seem to work but we need to have a dedicated machine running to click the renew when the internet drops on wifi devices or wait `10 minutes for it come back on its own. VERY frustrating as we use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon for TV viewing no cable tv or satellite. I have a nice internet connection and honestly pretty damn reliable. When this all started I thought it was my ISP.  but after replacing the Fiber card replacing the ethernet cord  CAT6 homerun to my router, After all that is when I really started troubleshooting my devices. I am telling you there is either something wrong with Circle or how CIrcle interacts with my RBK50.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 17
ekhalil
Master

- What type of devices do you have attached to your network?
- What wired devices do you have attached to Orbi nodes?
Message 9 of 17
LMF777
Aspirant

I listed devices types in my last reply "Devices types the oldest device is a Samsung S6 newest device is Samsung S9+, several Amazon FiresTV  and one Nvidia shield.  Less than 2 years old computers and Laptops."  

Wired devices none if I can help it.  But for troubleshooting when Wifi devices lose connection to the internet I grab a laptop and connect to the Router station and internet is working fine via data port but disconnect and connect to wifi and no Joy unless it has been longer than 10 minutes or I renew IP. Again the renew function is ONLY required if Circle is enabled. 

Message 10 of 17
LMF777
Aspirant

Hello All,

I just thought I would share that I had a Ticket raised to address my issues of Wifi devices losing internet access when Circle is enabled. My logs and evidence were shared with Netgear engineers and Circle Developers.  The end result is the issues have been fully resolved and the fix is said to be released in the next firmware update.  With all the negative posts I have seen I just wanted to share a good resolution of at least the issue I was having.  Have faith and be patient if you raise a ticket things can get resolved.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Glad you contacted NG support and they worked with you on this. Thanks for sharing. Hope this will turn out good in next FW update. 

Smiley Wink

@LMF777 wrote:

Hello All,

I just thought I would share that I had a Ticket raised to address my issues of Wifi devices losing internet access when Circle is enabled. My logs and evidence were shared with Netgear engineers and Circle Developers.  The end result is the issues have been fully resolved and the fix is said to be released in the next firmware update.  With all the negative posts I have seen I just wanted to share a good resolution of at least the issue I was having.  Have faith and be patient if you raise a ticket things can get resolved.

Message 12 of 17
str82george
Aspirant

Is anyone still experiening this issue ?

I have firmware version V2.3.1.60 and still having intermittent internet drops with Circle is enabled.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 17
Guytech
Apprentice

Hi

I wonder if you are still experiencing this problem. I am not technically trained, but I have been playing around with several different mesh wifi systems. I have seen this issue with most of the products. I eventually figured out that it has something to do with  802.11r settings which is responsible for fast roaming. If this setting is switched on, apple devices does not roam properly. Connection is often lost during roaming. In my case the problem was solved by switching off the fast roaming option and allow your device to manage connections and roaming.

I suggest that you try switching off fast roaming on the Orbi. I still have all the other functionality enabled and I do not see any significant connection issues now. I hope this helps. I would be interested in hearing back whether this solved your problem.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have mentioned having issues with Orbi with Circle enabled. I recommend disabling it and file a support ticket here about it and let NG know:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Also make a post about it in the Circle forum as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/circle.aspx

@str82george wrote:

Is anyone still experiening this issue ?

I have firmware version V2.3.1.60 and still having intermittent internet drops with Circle is enabled.

Message 15 of 17
str82george
Aspirant

Wish I could contact support about this ...  my support expired on 2017-11-18 and now i cannot contact support to resolve my issue.

This has happened to me since the last firmware update.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try posting in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

@Blanca_O 

@str82george wrote:

Wish I could contact support about this ...  my support expired on 2017-11-18 and now i cannot contact support to resolve my issue.

This has happened to me since the last firmware update.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7