Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI LBR20 on AT&T

smithrd
Star

ORBI LBR20 on AT&T

A bit confused.  I called AT&T with the IMEI number and was told the LRB20 was not compatible - and therefore could not be activated.  I called back a second time to see if the answer would change - but no luck.   However, I'm reading in the forum a few folks have gotten AT&T SIMS to work.

Anyone had this issues & what are some workaround? Where's the best place to get an AT&T Nano SIM card that will actuatlly work?

Thanks in Advance

Message 1 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

Re: ORBI LBR20 on AT&T

@smithrd wrote:

A bit confused.  I called AT&T with the IMEI number and was told the LRB20 was not compatible - and therefore could not be activated.  I called back a second time to see if the answer would change - but no luck.   However, I'm reading in the forum a few folks have gotten AT&T SIMS to work.

Anyone had this issues & what are some workaround? Where's the best place to get an AT&T Nano SIM card that will actuatlly work?

Thanks in Advance

Search the forums, as there have been posts on how to make ATT work. 

Message 2 of 31
CactusHill
Guide

I am having exactly the same problem and can't get a SIM card to actually work.  AT&T appears completely flummoxed by third-party hardware.  

I have tried a few different SIMs from AT&T, the closest I have gotten to having it work was a pre-paid data plan (DataConnect).  

The LBR20 recognizes the carrier as AT&T LTE, the signal is good, but its status is always "disconnected."  AT&T support is non-existent - I tried!

Anyone who had had success: what AT&T plan did you get?  Any special settings on the router you used?  Thank you.

Message 3 of 31
darwin1991
Guide

You need to manually edit the APN on the Orbi app to Broadband
Message 4 of 31
smithrd
Star

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give this a try today.  I'm still confused why I didn't need to do this on the t-mobile sim provided in the box.  I'll check my APN settings.

Just a heads up for others who attempt to all Netgear.  IMHO, it's probably not worth the investment.  I spent almost 2 hours being passed from department to department. 

If you still feel adventurous, here's some breadcrumbs:

• Go ahead & fill out a  support case form - you'll need to ticket number.
  • Have your Orbi serial number - 15 digits.
  • Netgear folks overseas are also working from home - so voice connections suffer in most cases.
  • Ask to be transferred to the Orbi Air department straight away.  Avoid departments: Air Card, Orbi Mobile Router, and Orbi Router.  Each department required ~15-20 minutes on hold - and then informed they did not have the training & transferred.
  • Caveat - in all the above departments when I tried to esalate to management, I was told it was not possible.  Additionally, when I informed each department how much time I'd spend on hold - I was ironically put on hold for "...just a minute or two.." to talk with their supervisor.
  • Caveat - after 20+ minutes on hold by Orbit Air - I was disconnected.  So bottom line, I never got an answer.
Message 5 of 31
CactusHill
Guide

Also, I have searched the forums (as mentioned) and can't seem to find a solution.  If there is one out there, please link to it!

Thanks!

Message 6 of 31
lilsadone
Tutor

Totally agree with you regarding not finding the info on the forum. I think it's important to note, that we're referring to the NEW  Orbi LBR20: 4G LTE Tri-band Router, and not one of the other Orbi products which are not 4G LTE routers, like this one is. 

This router was only released in recent months, so those threads regarding ATT hotspots aren't actually applicable here. 

Message 7 of 31
lilsadone
Tutor

@lilsadone wrote:

Totally agree with you regarding not finding the info on the forum. I think it's important to note, that we're referring to the NEW  Orbi LBR20: 4G LTE Tri-band Router, and not one of the other Orbi products which are not 4G LTE routers, like this one is. 

This router was only released in recent months, so those threads regarding ATT hotspots aren't actually applicable here. 

Actually, to correct myself: I found an ATT thread related, however, the Op was using a grandfathered ATT data-only plan that is no longer available. 

Message 8 of 31
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

LBR20 should work with AT&T as long as the SIM has the right plan. 

Please provide the following information:

- Firmware version

- APN settings 

@smithrd @CactusHill @lilsadone, I will PM you requesting for more information.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 31
smithrd
Star

Blanca,

Appreiate your help.  The information you requested is below. As a matter of context, I currently have three Orbi systems across family residences. This unit is going into a rural home with no cable/DSL, etc..

As I mentioned, I spent a grand total of 3 hours on the phone across NetGear & AT&T. Everyone I spoke with was unfamiliar with the LBR20 LTE settings.  Netgear Customer Service said IMEI was meaningless;  only the APN mattered for setup. 

AT&T entered the IMEI into their systems which came back & said it was unsupported device.

The issue is lack of training & information on this very new product. My preference for the rural location is  AT&T given the coverage although now I'm going to see how well t-mobile service is now that I have it installed and working. I would be very grateful for the correct process to use an AT&T SIM.  More choices are better.

Settings

APN: Default

Serial Number: 6H3 107 5PA A48 8

IMEI: 355 866 110 137 715

Message 10 of 31
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@smithrd 

Please DM me.

Message 11 of 31
CactusHill
Guide

Thanks for getting involved and helping!

What is the "right plan" for AT&T?  I have tried asking them and no one seems to have an answer.

Thanks

Message 12 of 31
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@CactusHill 

are you facing trouble with a specific plan?

did the plan you choose have "hotspot" as a feature in it?

Message 13 of 31
CactusHill
Guide

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I bought an AT&T SIM card from Amazon, and then bought a 'data only' plan for it on this AT&T website: https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

Didn't work...so then...

2. I went to an AT&T store, explained what I wanted, got another new SIM card with a Prepaid plan (https://www.att.com/prepaid/) 

That also didn't work...so then...

3. I had already bought an AT&T hotspot with a traditional post-paid plan (https://www.att.com/buy/connected-devices-and-more/att-wireless-internet-black.html) and took the SIM card out and put it in.

I wasn't really expecting that last one to work...and it didn't either.

If there is a "right plan" I would love to know!!

Message 14 of 31
darwin1991
Guide

Just change the orbi APN to Broadband and will work for At&t.
Message 15 of 31
smithrd
Star

Nope.  That doesn't seem to work. 

For either the t-mobile or AT&T SIM, APN is set to default while there is an right arrow indicating other options - it's disable.  Is there another setting I'm missing?

Just for clarity:

1. The AT&T SIM was purchased directly from an AT&T store.

2. AT&T continues not to have the LBR20 listed in their database as a supported device - as of yesterday.

3. I do not have another device to set the SIM in. I use Apple's eSIM for my other mobile devies.

Appreciate the help.  But I'd really appreciate the assistance from someone directly on the product team that has skills/experience with this model.

Message 16 of 31
CactusHill
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion.

I changed APN to "Broadband" and that did not work for me...

Message 17 of 31
smithrd
Star

Update #3

I have AT&T working now.  Maybe is was the tossing for salt over my shoulder.  Not clear - here's the steps:

1. Started fresh - pulled SIM & shut down Orbi
  2. Deleted the Orbi App on iPad.  While I could have reset it, i deicded to ensure a completely fresh start.
  3. Reinstalled SIM & powered up Orbi.  The launched the Orbi app
  4. Went to Settings -> Network.  Entered my AT&T account info.  Selected APN - which provided me a manual text entry field.  I entered Broadband.
  5. Save it.
  6. Turned my cellular data connection off on my iPad.

From there, the unit churned away from about 2 minutes.  Then on the Orbi app the red dot telling me my iPad was only connected locally - turned green. I was of course a non-believer.  But as soon as I used the browser it was working fine.  I did a speed test just to verify.

So what changed?  Don't know but...It could:

• have been user error on my part in entering my AT&T account information - although I did not received any warning message.
  • or changing the APN.  Some bright person here pointed out changing it to Broadband.  However, I would have never thought to type the word in rather than see a multiple selection pulldown, etc.
  • or after frequent calls to AT&T, the SIM was finally, correctly activated.
  • or I got lucky.

Hope this helps!

Message 18 of 31
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@CactusHill 

Please DM me. Need some additional info

Message 19 of 31
Shawni2
Aspirant

No it doesn't work. I had the LBR20 since day 1 and AT&T has turned mine off twice. They do it every 30 days. I have to buy a new sim chip, activate a new plan and I pay $300 a month for my 100gig plan. They say "unrecognizable IMEI."

Message 20 of 31
Shawni2
Aspirant

I have a business account with a $300 a month plan with 100gig and I still have the "unrecognizable IMEI" problem.

Message 21 of 31
CactusHill
Guide

@smithrd Thanks for the update - glad to hear you got it to work!

You said you entered your AT&T account info.  In the Orbi settings there are fields for username and password, but I wasn't aware you had to enter that for AT&T.  

Did you get login info from AT&T in order to use the SIM?  I have account info to access my AT&T account for billing, but didn't think we needed it for actual use of the SIM.

What type of plan are you on?

Thanks!

Message 22 of 31
smithrd
Star

In regards to entering AT&T info - I had no idea either till I hit the setting-> netowork initially & it asked for a password & ID.  Confusing since I log into AT&T with my cell phone number.  So what ID?!  Next was trial and error - entered the e-mail in my AT&T profile & then my phone number; neither worked. 

On Friday when I started fresh, I thought maybe I'd entered my AT&T information incorrectly.  When I logged into AT&T like normal (with my cell phone number) I received a message asking if I wanted to associate an e-mail address with the account.  I thought this was odd butI said yes anyway.  Then went back into the Orbi - entered that plus set the APN to Broadband - and it worked.

I added the SIM to my family plan for just data - 35gigs/month.

Bottom line is your understanding was the same as mine.  I don't understand why my account information needed to be entered.  To be honest, I'm still not sure I've done all this correctly.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Message 23 of 31
smithrd
Star

This is scary to hear. I'm only a few days into "proper" activiation. Counting down the days...

Message 24 of 31
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@smithrd 

what account info did you enter?

where did you enter?

A Screenshot would be helpful if you have one.

ATT should only need "Broadband" APN

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7