Reply

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

tagyoureit
Aspirant

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

I'm having the same issue for the past two weeks.  Every day the Orbi loses connectivity to the internet.  I have the RBR50 and two satellites.

 

For those asking about changing channels, antenna settings, etc - The advice is appreciated but the computers do NOT lose connection to the Orbi.  Instead, the Orbi is not letting the clients communicate out to the internet.

 

What I have noticed is that when my kids are playing on the Xbox their games will continue to talk to the internet but any clients that do intermittent connections (like loading a webpage) will fail.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 26 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 27 of 40
revangel
Star

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

Hello Netgear,

When you suggested: "Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz." - how can I know which channel is available? Would you suggest any software for that?

Another thing: I cannot setup my ATT router as bridge because this is not supported by ATT. I did setup Orbi as router now and I already had a drop in the connection. My last attempt before requesting a new product is setting up the channel manually, so please let me know how I can check the channels.

Unfortunatelly, we are running out of solutions here )-: and I am very unconfortable with the price I paid for Orbi Router + 2 satellites to solve my dead spots at home.

I already put myself available to be a beta tester from Netgear for Orbi firmwares, but I no longer can survive with dropping the interner 4-5 times a day... 

Thank you

Message 28 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

Use of Wifi scanners:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8 Free

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html Free

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/ Free

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/screenshots.php

http://nutsaboutnets.com

http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/ Pay app.

 

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.


@revangel wrote:

Hello Netgear,

When you suggested: "Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz." - how can I know which channel is available? Would you suggest any software for that?

Another thing: I cannot setup my ATT router as bridge because this is not supported by ATT. I did setup Orbi as router now and I already had a drop in the connection. My last attempt before requesting a new product is setting up the channel manually, so please let me know how I can check the channels.

Unfortunatelly, we are running out of solutions here )-: and I am very unconfortable with the price I paid for Orbi Router + 2 satellites to solve my dead spots at home.

I already put myself available to be a beta tester from Netgear for Orbi firmwares, but I no longer can survive with dropping the interner 4-5 times a day... 

Thank you


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 29 of 40
Ahartong
Aspirant

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

Just installed and setup an SRR60 and Satellite and every few minutes the internet connection drops. Very frustrating, especially with the amount of money spent on this. On initial setup I updated FW to 2.1.4.16. What should I do? Not sure if it's the satellite or the hub.
Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 30 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

You need to post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro


@Ahartong wrote:
Just installed and setup an SRR60 and Satellite and every few minutes the internet connection drops. Very frustrating, especially with the amount of money spent on this. On initial setup I updated FW to 2.1.4.16. What should I do? Not sure if it's the satellite or the hub.

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 31 of 40
rebelfish
Initiate

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

As of the last 2 or 3 weeks, I am having the same issue where periodically several times a day, I lose internet connectivity. I have confimed that it is not an internet issue. My setup is as follows:

Orbi RBR50 (with RBS50, RBW30 satellites all at fw 2.1.4.16) connected to Netgear GS116Ev2 switch with fw 2.6.0.22 (recently updated in an effort to resolve this issue). From there, I feed into a Palo Alto Networks PA-220 firewall and then the Spectrum provided modem. I have Netgear Powerline PLP2000 plugged in as a backup and connected to the same Netgear switch. When I lose WiFi connectivity, I am able to confirm over the Powerline PLP2000 connection that internet is still accessible which in turn validates the switch, firewall, and modem. The remaining issue is either the Orbi RBR50 or the RBW30 as the RBS50 is on the other end of the house which is 3000 sqft Tri-Level. My laptop is 10' from the RBW30 which is 25' from the RBR50. The backhaul status is "good".

 

I work from home and have two laptops running at all times with one using a VPN connection. I have roughly 60-70 devices connected at most times due to having a smart home and being a technology worker. I have had connectivity issues in the past that were much more disperse and therefore assumed it to be Spectrum. Now that it is a couple or few times a day, I have begun investigating further and detemined the issue to be directly related to the Orbi or possibly the switchport to which the Orbi connects.

 

I cannot find useful logs to indicate what might be happening and this should be something that these devices should be able to provide.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 32 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

 

Can you test only the RBR and the RBS alone with out the RBW being connected? Just turn them off temporarily.

Whats the distance between the RBR and RBS?

The distance between the RBR and RBW is a bit too close, I would start at 30 feet and test this later on.

 

hat channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and the RBS satellite.

 

Later on turn on the RBWs, just one and test. If the RBW is being daisy chained to the RBS satellite, you can re-enable Daisy Chain on the router, reboot the router and satellite, then re-connect the RBW satellite and test.


@rebelfish wrote:

As of the last 2 or 3 weeks, I am having the same issue where periodically several times a day, I lose internet connectivity. I have confimed that it is not an internet issue. My setup is as follows:

Orbi RBR50 (with RBS50, RBW30 satellites all at fw 2.1.4.16) connected to Netgear GS116Ev2 switch with fw 2.6.0.22 (recently updated in an effort to resolve this issue). From there, I feed into a Palo Alto Networks PA-220 firewall and then the Spectrum provided modem. I have Netgear Powerline PLP2000 plugged in as a backup and connected to the same Netgear switch. When I lose WiFi connectivity, I am able to confirm over the Powerline PLP2000 connection that internet is still accessible which in turn validates the switch, firewall, and modem. The remaining issue is either the Orbi RBR50 or the RBW30 as the RBS50 is on the other end of the house which is 3000 sqft Tri-Level. My laptop is 10' from the RBW30 which is 25' from the RBR50. The backhaul status is "good".

 

I work from home and have two laptops running at all times with one using a VPN connection. I have roughly 60-70 devices connected at most times due to having a smart home and being a technology worker. I have had connectivity issues in the past that were much more disperse and therefore assumed it to be Spectrum. Now that it is a couple or few times a day, I have begun investigating further and detemined the issue to be directly related to the Orbi or possibly the switchport to which the Orbi connects.

 

I cannot find useful logs to indicate what might be happening and this should be something that these devices should be able to provide.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 33 of 40
NightStorm
Guide

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

I had the Orbi installed for over a year and had constant drops.  Wired would be 100% fine but the internet on wireless was iffy.  In the beginning it hit Apple devices the most.  A firmware update made it better for the Apple devices but drops continued for everyone.

Three months ago I finally solved the issue.  It was expensive, something like $330, but it did the trick and I've not had a single drop since.

I come back to this forum now and then to see if there has been any major advancement made.  I'm not seeing anything.

 

Message 34 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

I recommend posting in the Orbi Pro forum since you have the pro version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro


@Ahartong wrote:
Just installed and setup an SRR60 and Satellite and every few minutes the internet connection drops. Very frustrating, especially with the amount of money spent on this. On initial setup I updated FW to 2.1.4.16. What should I do? Not sure if it's the satellite or the hub.

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 35 of 40
rebelfish
Initiate

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

What was the $330 trick?

Message 36 of 40
NightStorm
Guide

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

I bought a Velop 2-pack.

The RB50 sits on a chair in a corner, no power.

All it needs is a pointy hat.

 

Message 37 of 40
DrSeuss
Aspirant

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

Came back to the forums to see if there was some major update or fix for the dropped internet connections, the need for reboots and factory resets.  I see more threads about dropped internet connections and many users that really liked the system, until they didn't.  Whe it's up it's awesome.  Unfortunately it started to lose wifi or lan daily.   I've tried a bunch of fixes, been on hold with Netgear's cumbersome and plodding support, but finally put the Orbi back in the box.  Hoping to plead for a delayed return/store credit.  

I'm looking at Eero. Hoping Self-heal will fix the issues that I had with Orbi. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 38 of 40
revangel
Star

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

Dear community.

 

I did my best to use this product, setup all possible combinations, created log files to register the drops, exchanged both satellites paying Netgear for the delivery, became a beta tester, followed all the instructions from Netgear support. 

My final conclusion is that the product needs improvements (maybe hardware? firmware? software?) and I will not invest anymore time on it.

 

I am glad I bought Orbi in Costco and could return it after almost a year. I am now staying with my ATT Arris router, put it in the middle of my house and wiring some distant rooms. If we need to install a real wireless solution, maybe we would need to invest more money and use a professional one.

 

Hope you are luckier than me and thank you for all your support. I also thank Netgear for the kind technicians.

Rgs, 

Renato

 

Message 39 of 40
lobstajohnson
Aspirant

Re: ORBI LOSES/DROPS INTERNET CONNECTION

this actually might make some weird sense...if the system drops from the first DNS to the second, then the third...if there's nothing there the operating system may just begin to loop.  I've noticed all I have to do is click "TEST" or make ANY change and the router reboots and everything is back to normal.

 

I now have:

1) 1.1.1.1

2) 8.8.8.8

3) 8.8.4.4

 

and we'll see!

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 25747 views
  • 37 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements