Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Loses Internet Connection and CANNOT RENEW WAN IP RBR50/RBS50 2.3.5.30

Tangles
Tutor

@FURRYe38 thanks I will give that a shot when I get home from holidays. 

@ElMotor  I fully understand where you are coming from. It’s a real hassle to update and start afresh each time something does work. I also have had to do this several times in the past. The other major one for me was parental control which at least after over a year they finally fixed via firmware. This loss of internet connection may be the final straw for me though. 

I agree with your comments as well. I find myself defending this expensive purchase and Netgear. Their support has been useless. This forum has been much more help. 

We use ubiquiti kit at work and it’s been great. I was looking at this for home and the new UDM seems like a really nice piece of kit. The support for vlans is great for me as I run a vpn on a separate subnet (via another router). If this latest firmware doesn’t work then I will jump ship as well. 

Message 26 of 31
scsp85
Tutor

Luckily, I spoke to Costco and they said they would take them back. Never buying Netgear again. Issues with my last few products, I may try the Ubiquiti Alien.
Message 27 of 31
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I have xfinity and ran into a similar problem.  After assigning the Orbi a reserved/static IP LAN address, I didn't have to reboot due to IP renewal problem anymore.  With a static IP, Orbi will disable its internal DHCP automatically and therefore avoid the need to renew IP address via DHCP.  This has worked very well for me.

If you have xFi router from Comcast, you can put Orbi in AP mode and give it static IP/GW/DNS address.  At least you don't have to worry about WAN DHCP IP address renewal with ISP modem/router and DHCP/WAN IP address renewal is no longer an Orbi's problem.  Here is an example of my curent Orbi AP configs:

Static IP AP Mode.png

Message 28 of 31
ElMotor
Guide

I would suggest giving the alien some time or waiting for the next model they are working out some bugs in it as the standard is new
Message 29 of 31
ElMotor
Guide

this is a great alternative for people looking to keep their Netgear equipment. There were so many other problems with daisychaining, etc. that I wouldn’t keep the setup but if there aren't other issues and the WAN IP issue is the only one, this would work !
Message 30 of 31
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ElMotor wrote:
this is a great alternative for people looking to keep their Netgear equipment. There were so many other problems with daisychaining, etc. that I wouldn’t keep the setup but if there aren't other issues and the WAN IP issue is the only one, this would work !

Yeah - I'd do the same as well if there's a better mesh hardware than Orbi RBK53, i.e., backhaul bandwidth.   If I could easily run a cable in my house, I'd switch to Google WiFi in heartbeat.  Until another vendor can provide gigabit wireless backhaul, I just need to find new crazy way to solve old router problems that have already been solved years ago.

For example, who would have thought something as basic as DHCP client/server would still be a problem facing router today?

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7