Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI Mesh RBK53S Router + 2 Satellites

yuvismahi2
Follower

ORBI Mesh RBK53S Router + 2 Satellites

I bought the Costco bundle of the ORBI RBK53S system that came with the router and 2 Satellites and I find that it doesn't give me full coverage of my home. I need to add more Satellites for coverage but cannot seem to find them in stock anywhere. Any suggestions? I have a pretty large house with 4 floors and 6 bedrooms and need 1/2 more satellites. What would be the recommend and most cost efficient way to expand my orbi mesh network?

The few satellites that I could find were either for an older router or cost prohibitive where I could almost just by the Mesh 6 system for relatively the same price. If I did that, could i use that bundle with my 2 satellites from the RBK53S system?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI Mesh RBK53S Router + 2 Satellites

@yuvismahi2 wrote:

The few satellites that I could find were either for an older router or cost prohibitive where I could almost just by the Mesh 6 system for relatively the same price. If I did that, could i use that bundle with my 2 satellites from the RBK53S system?

For a definitive answer, I would post in the forum devoted to the AX products:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

From what I recall, the answer is, "Orbi WiFi5 satellites can be connected to the AX system only over ethernet. The WiFi backhaul systems are totally different."  So, if you have ethernet cables in the house running to locations where these satellites will be located, you can.  But, if the system needs to use WiFi backhaul, then no.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI Mesh RBK53S Router + 2 Satellites

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@yuvismahi2 wrote:

I bought the Costco bundle of the ORBI RBK53S system that came with the router and 2 Satellites and I find that it doesn't give me full coverage of my home. I need to add more Satellites for coverage but cannot seem to find them in stock anywhere. Any suggestions? I have a pretty large house with 4 floors and 6 bedrooms and need 1/2 more satellites. What would be the recommend and most cost efficient way to expand my orbi mesh network?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7