Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Model RBK22

Leesie424
Aspirant

ORBI Model RBK22

I have an ORBI Router and Satellite. The Satellite is not lit or blinking except when I reconnect it after disconnection.
1)How do I know it’s working?
2)What is the purpose of the Satellite?
3)Can I use the Satellite upstairs if the main ORBI Router is downstairs?
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi router and satellite are working normally, they show no lights except for the tiny power LED next to the power plug.

Customers would likely resent a bright glowing object in a bedroom, for example.  Here's a guide to what the lights should do:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Yes, the satellite can be on another floor.  The goal is to have it far enough from the base router to provide coverage to the entire house and close enough to the router to have a good signal between them.  Either the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app" will show which devices are connected to the router and which are connected to the satellite.  For example, if you have a modern smartphone and walk very close to the satellite, within 2 minutes the phone should connect to the satellite.

Message 2 of 5
Leesie424
Aspirant

Thank you SO much! I’m going to download the ORBI app now.
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

There are videos that show how to set up an Orbi system.  Plus, there are options.  The "app" provides ways to control some of the Orbi features, but there are numerous features that an be set up only using the web interface.

Orbi is like almost every other WiFi router:  the user can take it out of the box, plug it in, and immediately start using it knowing only the WiFi network name (SSID) and password that are printed on the product label.  If that's all a person needs, they are "good to go."  Some people find themselves in situations where more knowledge and options become useful.  Some people have invested in network storage that does best if the network address never changes.  Some people have "Internet of Things" products that can be a challenge to get connected.

In my case, for example, I name every new WiFi router with the exact same name and password as the previous one.  All of my WiFi things automatically connect to the new WiFi, and if I want to "go back" to the previous WiFi router, I simply plug it back in.

When you register the Orbi on the Netgear web site, you get 90 days of "complimentary" telephone support.  After that, other users on the community forum are usually able to help resolve any problems.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Leesie424 wrote:
I have an ORBI Router and Satellite. The Satellite is not lit or blinking except when I reconnect it after disconnection.
1)How do I know it’s working?
2)What is the purpose of the Satellite?
3)Can I use the Satellite upstairs if the main ORBI Router is downstairs?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7