Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Network Dropping every 24hrs

MTPATL
Aspirant

ORBI Network Dropping every 24hrs

Just recently installed an Orbi RBR50 in my house.I have AT&T Fiber, and after looking at suggestions online upgraded my AT&T Router to receive one with an IP Passthough. The AT&T moden was set up as a passthough and all antennas were shut off, using using the Orbi as the router.

The Network worked great for the first 24 hours and then dropped and i had to reset it. Apparently this happens everynight at the same time as my original set up. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how do you fix it? I would hate to have to return the entire system, but its frustrating and unsustainable to constantly have to reboot the system every single night. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

Please look on the Orbi web interface, at the Advanced Tab->Advanced Home and click on Connection Status.

Does the lease expiration match up with when the router is expected to lose connection?

Message 2 of 45
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@MTPATL wrote:

Just recently installed an Orbi RBR50 in my house.I have AT&T Fiber, and after looking at suggestions online upgraded my AT&T Router to receive one with an IP Passthough. The AT&T moden was set up as a passthough and all antennas were shut off, using using the Orbi as the router.

The Network worked great for the first 24 hours and then dropped and i had to reset it. Apparently this happens everynight at the same time as my original set up. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how do you fix it? I would hate to have to return the entire system, but its frustrating and unsustainable to constantly have to reboot the system every single night. 

I had Comcast Cable and had similar problem.  The lease time on my Orbi IP was something like 3 days when I last checked when it was in Router Mode.  I put the Orbi back in AP Mode to avoid this problem for now.  Just posted a similar issue with the Satellite on a new thread.

Message 3 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@MTPATL wrote:

Message 4 of 45
MTPATL
Aspirant

It does. The lease obtained and expire match up. Is there a way to extend the lease indefinitly? how do i work around it so it doesn't drop every 24hrs?

Message 5 of 45
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@MTPATL wrote:

It does. The lease obtained and expire match up. Is there a way to extend the lease indefinitly? how do i work around it so it doesn't drop every 24hrs?

Can you try to assign a static IP address, which was aquired via ISP to WAN interface, to the Orbi?  This will hopefully prevent Orbi from the need to refresh/renew its IP address from ISP.  ISP doesn't recycle IP address often unless the mac-address changes.  I just tried this with my Orbi, which is in AP Mode.  I wont know the result until next few days.  Your result will be a great addition!

Message 6 of 45
MTPATL
Aspirant

Firmware is V2.5.0.38

My house is about 4500 square foot. The Router is on the main floor and i have a satelite in the basement as i have a few things that are connected to that via ehternet. It is more than 30 feet away, but the connection is good (when the internet is working of course)

In looking at the settings, the wireless AP is on. Assume that is different than AP Mode? Sorry, I am a novice at this!

Message 7 of 45
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Click ADVANCED tab-> Advanced Setup -> Router / AP Mode.  Check which radio button is selected.

Check out this how to set stqtic IP address link. 

Message 8 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

@MTPATL wrote:

I fear this is a question for the internet service company.  DHCP has been used to assign IP addresses for decades.  The standard is well-established.  (For a thorough explanation, the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol }

As the article explains, when a device is offered an IP address and accepts it, the device begins requesting a renewal when the lease if half-expired.  In this case that would be in 12 hours.  It gets a new lease, and the pattern repeats.  It should never "run out."  This is exactly what the Orbi does in router mode for devices connected to the Orbi, and the Orbi also offers a 24 hour lease.  If you look in the Orbi log, the pattern is evident.  24 hour lease, renewed shortly after half of it expires.

Somehow, this mechanism is not working on the Wide Area Network (WAN) side of the Orbi.  It is technically  possible to troubleshoot this from the customer end, but it is a chore.  The Orbi would have to begin capturing every WAN packet for a day and then look at the traffic with a program such as Wireshark.  I do not know if there is enough memory in the Orbi to hold an entire day of internet use, so it might be necessary to capture to USB, or to mirror all of the WAN traffic out one of the Orbi LAN ports to comething that can capture it.

In other words, this is a serious task that will take a challenge.

I would start by calling the ISP and asking, "What is going on with my DHCP requests?"

Message 9 of 45
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:

@MTPATL wrote:

I would start by calling the ISP and asking, "What is going on with my DHCP requests?"

@mhalla  contacted ISP for a similar issue.  Check out this post.

Message 10 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

What is the firmware release on this Orbi?
Message 11 of 45
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

That post is under "New Firmware v2.5.0.38" thread, assuming to be same version?

Message 12 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

Exactly. If this Orbi is on 2.5, then that is a reasonable conclusion. If this Orbi is on 2.3, then something else is at work.
Message 13 of 45
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yeah, that's why it's worth a shot to set the ISP assigned IP info via DHCP as Orbi static IP address/info.  If that works for more than 24 hours, then we can point NG to it so that this issue can be fixed quickly before rolling v2.5.0.38 out to general public.

Message 14 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem from ATT? 

THere been others having issues with modems that come from ATT and not working well with Orbi systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Speed-Throttling-Wired-and-Wireless/m-p/1675736#M47319

Please configure the Orbi RBR for AP mode as suggested and let us know if the network stops dropping every 24 hours. 

Might review this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1728392#M57727

@MTPATL wrote:

Message 15 of 45
MTPATL
Aspirant

switched to AP mode. Will let everyone know if it still drops. Next step would be static IP. After that, i will check with AT&T to see if they have any suggestions. Thanks for the help, hopefully switching to AP mode works. 

Message 16 of 45
highway
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue.

I'm getting fiberoptics into the house going into RBR50 (firmware V2.5.1.8) (used as a router) through a converter. Converter works when Orbi  connection is off. I can't be 100% sure but I believe I didn't experience this from start.. and it only started with the update to 2.5.1.8.

So far I've factory reset the router - didn't help.

I've set a static IP instead of DHCP - didn't help.

My provider says:

1. My sessions lengths are exactly 23 hours 55 minutes.

2. No spiking in networks traffic can be observed.

3. Their equipment connection is stable through the times my connection is off.

Today I even noticed that when my "prime" time comes and connection is dropped, I can't restore it through "connect" on Advanced > Connection Status popup. Connection takes like 4 minutes to recover during which router is on and opertaing normally, Previously I tried rebooting the router once connection drops and I managed to get the connection back once router rebooted but in a minute or so it dropped again and came back 3-4 minutes later.

Is there a way to get any more meaningful (more detail) logs out of Orbi? I'm pretty much in the blind.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

@highway wrote:

Is there a way to get any more meaningful (more detail) logs out of Orbi? I'm pretty much in the blind.

Yes, there is a way to get more meaningful information  from the Orbi, but it is neither quick nor easy.

Assuming this is a "version 1" Orbi with the USB port:

• Connect a USB memory stick with enough capacity to hold a full day's internal and external data.
  • Go to the debug page (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm)
  • Check "Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture"
  • Select Store Location USB
  • Click on "Begin Capture"
  • Wait until the connection drops, which can be up to 24 hours.
    The actual time should be found on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab,
    click on the "Connection Status" box under "Internet Port"
    the last item is "Lease Expires"
  • Once the Orbi loses connection, but is still running, return to the Orbi debug page,
    Click on "Start Capture" to make it stop (crazy, right?)
    Click on "Save Debug Log"
  • Remove USB memory stick from Orbi
  • Insert USB memory stick into computer and there should be two folders:
    LAN - every packet seen on the LAN side of the Orbi
    WAN - every packet seen on the WAN side of the Orbi
  • Use a program that can display PCAP files (packet capture), such as Wireshark to open the WAN file.
  • Create a display filter for "DHCP" packets only.
  • There is supposed to be a request from the Orbi to renew the DHCP lease when the lease is half expired.
    The DHCP server is supposed to respond to this request by renewing the lease.
  • If the lease is not renewed, the Orbi is to keep asking until the lease term actually expires,
    at which time it is required by the standards to quit using this IP address and begin the DHCP request process from the start.

I just inserted a memory stick into my Orbi which reports 18 hr. 22 min remaining on a 24 hour lease.  In about six hr. 22 min, I should be able to pull the USB stick and find the DHCP renewal packets.  (Because mine works as expected.)  In your case, when the Orbi loses connection, you should be able to document:

• Did my Orbi try to renew the DHCP lease as it is supposed to when half expired?
  • Did the ISP respond as it is supposed to?
  • When the lease term ran out, did my Orbi do what it was supposed to?
  • etc.

Message 18 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@MTPATL wrote:

switched to AP mode. Will let everyone know if it still drops. Next step would be static IP. After that, i will check with AT&T to see if they have any suggestions. Thanks for the help, hopefully switching to AP mode works. 

Message 19 of 45
highway
Aspirant

Thank you for guidance @CrimpOn I'll set this up today. The only thing is that I moved from DHCP so I only have connection time now. But I guess I'll try it both ways, there is nothing to loose anyway 🙂

Message 20 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

My lease is almost due to renew.  I am puzzled by this comment:

@highway wrote:

The only thing is that I moved from DHCP so I only have connection time now.

"moved from DHCP".  You have set a static IP address in the Orbi?  (or, what?)  In the (very) short run, that might actually work.  However, when the ISP decides to reallocate IP address pools and yours changes, the Orbi will suddenly stop working.

Message 21 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

I can now report.  After 6 hrs, 22 min (almost exactly) my Orbi sent a single DHCP unicast request to the ISP, the ISP immediately replied with a DHCP acknowledgement, and my lease was reset to 24 hours.

In other words, for this particular Orbi and this particular ISP, the DHCP renewal mechanism behaved exactly as described in the standards documents.

My netword is not especially active, and there was nobody at home for several hours.  The USB stick still managed to accumulate over 213MB of WAN traffic and 1.3GB of LAN traffic. 

I would dearly love to see a packet capture for an Orbi that consistently loses connection at the end of the DHCP lease.  "Evidence" would be finding that either (a) the Orbi, or (b) the ISP did not generate requests or acknowledgements as expected.  The Orbi should then return to broadcasting requests.

Message 22 of 45
highway
Aspirant

Yes, exactly. Sorry, I mentioned this in my first post. So I switched from DHCP to Static IP and it didn't help. I have static IP anyhow so it won't change. I left it at DHCP after reset that I made trying to fix this issue. This implies (at least I think so) the problem has nothing to do with the DHCP lease. There is something else. At least all the evidence and observations that I have points at this.

Message 23 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

@highway wrote:

Yes, exactly. Sorry, I mentioned this in my first post. So I switched from DHCP to Static IP and it didn't help. I have static IP anyhow so it won't change. I left it at DHCP after reset that I made trying to fix this issue. This implies (at least I think so) the problem has nothing to do with the DHCP lease. There is something else. At least all the evidence and observations that I have points at this.

Please forgive my confusion.  (I am terribly literal.)  From this I conclude (1) you have secured a static IP from the ISP, but (2) the Orbi was left in DHCP mode, the default after a reset.  So, the ISP knows you have a static IP and will not change it, but the Orbi does not know and is still using the DHCP mechanism to get its IP from the ISP (which is always the same).

Message 24 of 45
highway
Aspirant

Correct.

Anyhow I've set it to Static IP a few days ago and it didn't help.

So I have the log now. The problem is that I picked it up about 15 minutes after the router went back up again. And of course I have no idea what I'm looking at. I don't know what the time stamps of the packets are but I assumed it's minutes of the log recording (is that right?). If that is so, my last log entry is 296 and it was 8.23pm my time when I unplugged the flash drive out. Based on connection status time the router went back online at 8.14pm. So I believe 8.10pm it went down which is maybe 283-284 in log time?

I don't see any DHCP events around that time so here is what I have before and after that time.

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info
14846 230.384196 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 606 DHCP Request - Transaction ID 0x2ca28f53
14857 230.747791 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 374 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0x17d45007
15276 233.761594 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 374 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0x17d45007
15380 236.780022 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 374 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0x17d45007
15615 243.940007 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 362 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
15616 243.961652 10.66.0.28 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
15620 243.989029 10.64.0.23 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
15621 244.008819 10.64.0.22 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
15756 249.397322 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 606 DHCP Request - Transaction ID 0x2ca28f53
16918 267.531074 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 606 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0x47490427
16919 267.604065 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 606 DHCP Request - Transaction ID 0x47490427
17104 276.006100 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 362 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
17105 276.028227 10.64.0.23 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
17106 276.048286 10.66.0.28 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
17107 276.069841 10.64.0.22 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0xdd4b207
17484 296.242541 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 DHCP 362 DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0x129bf730
17492 296.264638 10.66.0.28 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0x129bf730
17493 296.285076 10.64.0.23 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0x129bf730
17494 296.305105 10.64.0.22 255.255.255.255 DHCP 326 DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0x129bf730

Does this tell us anything?

Thank you for all your help @CrimpOn 

Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7