Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Network Dropping every 24hrs

highway
Aspirant

Weird. My posts are getting deleted... is it because of the piece of log? I'll try again.

Correct. I had the static IP before Orbi. When I first setup Orbi I've set static IP on it. After a while I realised Orbi drops connection every 24h so I spoke to my provider, and reset it after some time. It was in DHCP mode untile a few days ago when I set the Static IP back and it didn't fix the problem.

I have the log now but the problem is I stopped logging 15 after miuntes Orbi was due to go down so I'm not sure about packets times. I assumed Time in log file represents minutes of logging. So my log last entry is at 296 of "Time" which was 8.23pm my time. According to connection status time Orbi went back up 8.14pm, so I assume it went down around 8.10-8.11pm which must have been at 283-284 log "Time". I don't see any DHCP events at that timeframe, I only have 1 Discover and 3 Offer DHCP events 7 minutes before calculated time and 13 minutes after (I have more of these earlier, many of these actually every couple of minutes).

Message 26 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

The time in PCap files is actually in seconds from the start.   Here's what I was looking at:

Capture.PNG

Frame 2668721 is at 22,851 seconds after I started capturing, which translates to 6 hr, 20 min, and 51 seconds.

The first packet from MY computer is a unicast to 142.254.183.97. which is the Spectrum server that gave me the IP.

Almost immediately, that server responds with DHCP ACK renewing the lease.

If the server had not responded, my Orbi is supposed to "keep trying" until the lease runs out.  I do not know how often it tries, becauses it always works correctly.

p.s. There are a LOT of broadcast packets flying around networks.  Those other DHCP packets are other customers in the neighborhood.

I confess to another confusion: When the Orbi is set to a "static IP", there is no reason for it to ask to renew the IP.  My guess is that ther should be zero DHCP packets originating from the Orbi.  HOWEVER, what if the ISP's definition of "Static IP" is, "I guarantee to ALWAYS give you this particular IP address, and never give you anything else.  BUT, you have to ask for it and you have to renew it."  In that case, "something bad" could happen when the Orbi fails to renew.

I propose another test.  Check the box to "Start debug capture when boot up," and restart the Orbi. Are there now any DHCP packets from the Orbi?

Message 27 of 45
highway
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I propose another test.  Check the box to "Start debug capture when boot up," and restart the Orbi. Are there now any DHCP packets from the Orbi?

Hi @CrimpOn 

First of all, it keeps bugging me that I totally forgot to say that I'm on PPPoE connection. I'm not sure if that makes any difference but now you have full information about my setup.

So yes, I keep seeing DHCP packets. Also I think I managed to get a proper log of what is happening when Orbi drops connection.

Please bear in mind that I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at (from at least the perspective of knowing what's normal and what's abnormal). Around the time Orbi dropped connection I see a few packets in WAN log that seem to be out of line to me:

There are 2 of these that I can see packet1 (looks like this is where the connection is dropped? 

Then this one packet2 

After that I believe Orbi tries to restore the connection with this (I can see a few of these every couple of seconds.)

Does any of this make any sense to you? Is there anything else I can do to provide any more details?

Thank you.

200059 3661.895866 ZyxelCom_53:12:35 ZyxelCom_aa:aa:ab LOOP 60 No valid function found

Message 28 of 45
CrimpOn
Guru

@highway wrote:

First of all, it keeps bugging me that I totally forgot to say that I'm on PPPoE connection. I'm not sure if that makes any difference but now you have full information about my setup.

Oh, my goodness.  We have now officially  exceeded my capability.  I have never used a PPPoE connection.  Those are the two basic types (DHCP and PPPoE).

I looked briefly at the Wikipedia page on PPPoE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_over_Ethernet There are some different packet types to look for.  The DHCP packets you see are not from the ISP. They are more likely from your neighbors equipment.

This needs someone more capable than I am.  You might start a new post, "PPoE Connection Drops Every 24 Hours" and see if that attracts someone.

Message 29 of 45
highway
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@highway wrote:

Oh, my goodness.  We have now officially  exceeded my capability.  I have never used a PPPoE connection.  Those are the two basic types (DHCP and PPPoE).

I think it would be fair to say that it seems to work both ways. After the router reset I left all settings sit at default and connection worked through DHCP exactly the same way (dropping every 24h).

This needs someone more capable than I am.  You might start a new post, "PPoE Connection Drops Every 24 Hours" and see if that attracts someone.

Considering the chances someone will actually want to work with me to identify such an issue (you're an exception @CrimpOn and I'm grarteful for your willingness to help) looks like I'm getting a router and will switch Orbi into AP mode.

Message 30 of 45
carladj
Aspirant

I’m struggling with the same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

Thanks for any help.
Carla
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 45
highway
Aspirant

@carladj wrote:
I’m struggling with the same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

Thanks for any help.
Carla

I wish I could give you a miracle solution, but no 😞 Mine keeps loosing connection every day at the same time no matter what.

Message 32 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Orbi is loosing connections or network isn't working at regular time frames each day and specific times, and not a randsom time, this could point to a problem at the ISP modem or ISP service line up stream from the Orbi. 

ALso could be some wifi interferences as well. 

Message 33 of 45
highway
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the Orbi is loosing connections or network isn't working at regular time frames each day and specific times, and not a randsom time, this could point to a problem at the ISP modem or ISP service line up stream from the Orbi. 

ALso could be some wifi interferences as well. 

Sure. Except that:

1. I obviously tried to figure this out with the ISP a few times and this is where I have the data that my session durations are exactly 23 hours 55 minutes. And even though I will never know if they told me the truth or the actual real truth is different to what my ISP believes to be truth I decided that this variable was crossed out from the list 🙂 In other words: I believe them that it's not on their end also because of the below.

2. This specific time when Orbi's connection goes down is directly dependant on the initial setup and/or factory reset time. When I identified the issue originally the connection was going down at some specific time (now I'm not sure what that was but I believe it was the time of initial setup) but in an attempt to fix the issue I factory reset the router. And from that minute on it started to go down at the time of the latest factory reset.

Wifi is up, router is up, connection is down.

Message 34 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, possible HW issue or something with the ISP modem and RBR.

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem you are currently using? 

Have to have a prior router by chance? 

@highway wrote:

Sure. Except that:

1. I obviously tried to figure this out with the ISP a few times and this is where I have the data that my session durations are exactly 23 hours 55 minutes. And even though I will never know if they told me the truth or the actual real truth is different to what my ISP believes to be truth I decided that this variable was crossed out from the list 🙂 In other words: I believe them that it's not on their end also because of the below.

2. This specific time when Orbi's connection goes down is directly dependant on the initial setup and/or factory reset time. When I identified the issue originally the connection was going down at some specific time (now I'm not sure what that was but I believe it was the time of initial setup) but in an attempt to fix the issue I factory reset the router. And from that minute on it started to go down at the time of the latest factory reset.

Wifi is up, router is up, connection is down.

Message 35 of 45
carladj
Aspirant

I also have fiber and have an ISP-assigned static IP address. 

Once I got the static IP and tried adjusting the settings in the router we lost internet every 24 hours. I've been on the phone with my ISP 3 times. They insist that everything is fine on their end and that they can see packets "timing out" at the router. 

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Netgear support. After doing what I have done for 3 days, they could not explain the problem, nor could they fix it. They insisted that this was the ISP's problem. When we hung up I had no internet connection at all and was told to tell the ISP to come out and install a new modem.  My modem is 2 months old. 

I performed my third factory reset and was able to access the internet without setting up the static IP, which I need for my job. Now I have no idea what to do. I think I should return the Orbi and get something else. 

So frustrating. 

Message 36 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you not set a static IP address on the RBR and use DHCP. If your ISP has setup a static for you, then the Modem/ONT may already keep this and pass this thru and setting a static ON the RBR may not be needed. See if using DHCP keeps the connection longer than 24 hours.

@carladj wrote:

I also have fiber and have an ISP-assigned static IP address. 

Once I got the static IP and tried adjusting the settings in the router we lost internet every 24 hours. I've been on the phone with my ISP 3 times. They insist that everything is fine on their end and that they can see packets "timing out" at the router. 

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Netgear support. After doing what I have done for 3 days, they could not explain the problem, nor could they fix it. They insisted that this was the ISP's problem. When we hung up I had no internet connection at all and was told to tell the ISP to come out and install a new modem.  My modem is 2 months old. 

I performed my third factory reset and was able to access the internet without setting up the static IP, which I need for my job. Now I have no idea what to do. I think I should return the Orbi and get something else. 

So frustrating. 

Message 37 of 45
carladj
Aspirant

I have set up the static IP a number of times. How do I change it to use DHCP. I haven't adjusted any of those settings. 

Message 38 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Setup/Internet setup. Be sure the radio button is set for Get Dynamically from ISP.

Message 39 of 45
carladj
Aspirant

Hi,

I can't select that because I have to select the other radio button for static IP. 

I have manually set up the static IP and it is working. I may just have to reboot my router every morning....

Message 40 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try setting the radio button temporarily to Dynamic DHCP to see if the RBR can connect to your ISP service even though the ISP has setup a static IP for you. You may not need to use Static ON the RBR. Just seeing this DHCP will work as well on the RBR. 

@carladj wrote:

Hi,

I can't select that because I have to select the other radio button for static IP. 

I have manually set up the static IP and it is working. I may just have to reboot my router every morning....

Message 41 of 45
carladj
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes! That is the only way I can connect to the internet.

Today we lost internet connection between router and modem — 24 hour reset (I assume).

1. Rebooting router does not work.
  2. Power off /power on modem does not work. 
  3. Rebooting router again does not work 
  4. Your advice: 
    1. Select: Get Dynamically from ISP - internet connects
    2. Select: Use Static IP address - internet connects

Any suggestions on settings in the router to fix? 

Thank you so much for your help.

Message 42 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem you are currently using? 

@carladj wrote:

Hi,

Yes! That is the only way I can connect to the internet.

Today we lost internet connection between router and modem — 24 hour reset (I assume).

1. Rebooting router does not work.
  2. Power off /power on modem does not work. 
  3. Rebooting router again does not work 
  4. Your advice: 
    1. Select: Get Dynamically from ISP - internet connects
    2. Select: Use Static IP address - internet connects

Any suggestions on settings in the router to fix? 

Thank you so much for your help.

Message 43 of 45
carladj
Aspirant

The static IP connection only laste a few hours today and I lost the internet. I have reverted to the dynamic IP.

My modem is the standard for the ISP:  CTC Union GSW-1005MS+CT002

Thanks,

Carla

Message 44 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how long the connection remains with Dymanic this time. 

That model you gave seems to be a Managed switch:

https://www.ctcu.com/en/fiber-series/l2-ethernet-switch/cpe-switch/gsw-1005ms.html

I presume this was something that your ISP installed? 

You might have them check this switch for any IGMP or green ethernet features. Have them disable both of these features if they are present and enabled. These two features don't work well with Orbi systems. 

@carladj wrote:

The static IP connection only laste a few hours today and I lost the internet. I have reverted to the dynamic IP.

My modem is the standard for the ISP:  CTC Union GSW-1005MS+CT002

Thanks,

Carla

Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7