Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI R50 Wifi link speed

Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

ORBI R50 Wifi link speed

Wifi issue with new Orbi R50, When using virgin media superhub 3 i get expected link speed 450mb on wifi, however on the Orbi this drops to 300mb.  Mobile phones other devices connect and get full speeds. any advice on resolving this would be greatly appreaciated

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. 

The virgin media super hub 3 is set to modem mode and it looks like the orbi is setup in router mode. Would my best option be to set up the Orbi as an AP Instead 

Message 3 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Might try mode  in router mode and Orbi in AP mode as last resort configuration to try

Message 4 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and i have tried everything you advised.

1 - currently have modem mode on the sh3

2 - Router mode on Orbi 50 

3 - Mobile devices etc all connecting a good speeds

4 - Imac and macbook pro when connected to the sh3 as standard config get correct link rate, however as soon as these are connected to the orbi i only get link speed of 300mbps. 

Message 5 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Wow, i have just come off support with Netgear over an hour long and still no closer, they are now saying that i need to contact apple to change settings on laptop ?

I just do not understand where there is a difference 

https://prnt.sc/q4t9n3 - ORBI 50

https://prnt.sc/q4ta6e - SH3 

I have changed channels and done all the recomended setttings the laptop clearly supports the speed under the SH3 so what is stopping it reaching this and all other devices are ?

hope someone can help

regards

john

Message 6 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What year are the iMac and Mac Book Pro? 

What OSX version is installed on the iMac and Mac Book Pro. I have a Mac Book Pro 2018 and haven't seen this. Use both 10.14 and 10.15. Orbi loaded with v40. 

Beamforming and WMM enabled?

20/40Mhz co-existance unchecked and set for 40Mhz? 

@Johnhorton1979 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and i have tried everything you advised.

1 - currently have modem mode on the sh3

2 - Router mode on Orbi 50 

3 - Mobile devices etc all connecting a good speeds

4 - Imac and macbook pro when connected to the sh3 as standard config get correct link rate, however as soon as these are connected to the orbi i only get link speed of 300mbps. 

Message 7 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Retina 15" running 10.15.1

IMac 2015 5k 10.15.1 

Seems that since connecting the orbi the internet on these 2 devices has slowed down

I dont understand why whe connected to the SH3 it everything was ok

Message 8 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll check my MBP 2018 that dual boots with 10.14 and 10.15. I have a Mac Mini 2012 that I know max's out at 450Mbps on 5Ghz. I'll check that as well. 

I have heard people say 10.15 introduces new and different behaviors. Possible some incompatibilities between OSX and hardware. 

Message 9 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

great thanks, i have another older macbook on high seirra and that does connect at 450mbps. and 10.15.1 has been perfect under the SH3 setup 450mbps

Message 10 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

So the older Mac High Sierra connects at 450Mbps with the Orbi? If so, sounds like this maybe a 10.15 issue possibly. 

Message 11 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Ok we can skip that.

The 10.14 macbook i tried was in my garden office, which is the connected to the house via cat6e and i have a seperate TP Link EAP WIFI which the macbook was connected too. The cat6e is run from the back of the orbi 50 ethernet port down to the garden office.

Macbook connected in garden office i got 450mbps Link Speed on MAC OS 10.14 TP Link EAP WIFI

Macbook connected in house i got 300mbps Link Speed on MAC OS 10.14 ORB50

----

Macbook connected in garden office i got 450mbps Link Speed on MAC OS 10.15.1 TP Link EAP WIFI

Macbook connected in house i got 300mbps Link Speed on MAC OS 10.51.1 ORB50

To say im confused is an understatment im guessing there is something on the ORB50 causing the issue?

Message 12 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the RBR currently? 

Has a factory reset been performed and walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. Then connect on of the Macs to the Orbi RBR and see the connection rate? I would turn OFF the RBS temporarily while you try this as this doesnt' need to be reset.

Message 13 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Firmware V2.5.0.40

I have hard reset several times and run through everything again and again very frustrating even spoke to netgear support who are of no help. I think im pretty close to sending it back as was expecting better even though its really improved wifi around the house, just dont get why if affecting these devices

Message 14 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

So heres what I found with my MBP2018, It's seeing at least 520Mbps. however I noticed the speed drop to about 350Mbps while just stting there. I then kicked off a speedtest with Ooklas speed test app and watch as the test ran that the wifi rate went bsck up to 520Mpbs. I was about 4 feet away from the RBR line of sight. All this was in 10.14. I saw 866Mpbs when I booted to 10.15 on the MBP and same drop off behavior. So I think the wifi drivers on the MBP are probably slowing the rate if nothing is flowing thru the connection. Are you having any data flow thru the connection when your looking at the connection rate? Or is the 300Mbps seen all the time regardless of data flow or not? Try this to be sure. 

My Mac Mini 2012 barely go anything up to 270Mbps. However is farther away from the RBR and not in line of site. Not sure how good the radios on the Mini are though I had seen 450Mbps before with it. It mostly wired to the network anyways. 

v40 here as well. 

Message 15 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

On the macbook in the same room the connection stays at 300mbps regardless if data is running through.

I have just tested my Imac in the office garden this starts at 1300mbps and drops to 879mbps.

When running speed tests on the imac in the garden results are not great 150mbs was previously hitting the full speeds with the SH3 

Wasnt expecting such a drop to be honest been a nightmare. really cant think of anything else to do as everything worked fine under under the sh3 and if i unplu everything and go back to old set up everything works something on the orbi is causing this imo

Message 16 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

The more I think about it the more I think it’s an issue with the Apple Macs. All windows based. iPhones and android devices are working to the full capabilities
Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume that your Orbi maybe faulty. Since you've tired other FW versions, leads me to think this system is just bad and needs replaced or go with something else. 

Message 18 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

I have been tempted to return as I feel it should work correctly with the Apple products. Or try something else. As yours are working as they should so should others.
Message 19 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres been others who have had faulty units out of the box. Getting another has resolved this. 

Good Luck in your endeavors. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

Right, so new unit has arrived all set up and everything is the same, so my guess is its not actually the orbi system thats the problem, All other devices work perfectly LAN connections are what they should be i think its something to do with the macbook & orbi just wish i could figure it out. but i feel i can rule out an actual issue witht he Orbi i think i need to investigate. 

Message 21 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for letting us know. Ya seems like if this is happing across two different systems, something is going on with your Macs. I would make contact with Apple support and point them to this thread for there review. 

Possible there is a HW fault in the Macs. I would be interestest to know what they say. 

Message 22 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

it really is a strange one to be honest, although when the SH3 is connected in normal mode the tx rate fluctuates up to 450mbps i still do not get the full speeds and maybe never have just not noticed it. More investigation ahead i feel and will contact apple. 

Message 23 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted...

Message 24 of 32
Johnhorton1979
Aspirant

bit of an update, tried ethernet into the imac and also a pc run speeds tests on them both and the Imac get around 270mb and the pc is getting around 370mb. Im really confused as it was is going on 

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7