Reply

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

_DamN_
Aspirant

ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

My not even a month old Orbi decided to block 2 devices from the network. Everything was fine until I upgraded firmware (from 2.4.something -> 2.7.2.102). 2 devices - one being my cellphone and one hidden camera (5ghz and 2.4ghz) are being constantly denied from the wireless network even though I **allow** them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note, that after the upgrade which I did manually via web interface, no "clean setup" was performed again.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Maybe time for one. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Maybe time for one. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 2 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

At some point I wish rather than just offer reboots or resets which may offer relief, more would own up to the fact that some of these firmwares are faulty.   Especially those who this know this to be true.

Message 3 of 18
_DamN_
Aspirant

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Thanks for responding ..

Yes, I just did a factory reset ... and I also did a rookie mistake: once initialized and booted up for the first time I used previously backed up settings - wrong. Had to repeat the whole process with factory settings then manually set everything up. Thanks God that thing does not have very complex config. This just reminds me about the microsoft and their design decisions ... ah well. I guess there is nothing better in "normal" price range to cover my house ...

And results: devices are not being blocked ... yet. There is one device which has IP assigned and will need to re-request its IP again but that's a story for tomorrow. Let's hope that nothing breaks during the night.

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Be sure to make a new backup configuration to file with new settings. Helps save time if a reset is needed.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 5 of 18
John_Ba
Luminary

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

I used Asus devices for some 15 years. The last ones for some years untill I was advised to change to to these devises. I never Never had to do resets and to reinstalle settings after always updating firmware. I am really regreting being sold these device's as they may be good but the maker and there support of them is appaling I say this as someone nearly 80 and knowing many at my age wouldn't have a hope of dealing with the use/running of them.
Message 6 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Be sure to make a new backup configuration to file with new settings. Helps save time if a reset is needed.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
Lyth
Guide

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Had the same problem with that firmware and a couple of others.  I reset and setup from scratch numerous times but it made no difference.  Went back to 2.6.1.40 and it's been solid for at least 2 months with no random blocked devices weirdness.

Message 8 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices


@Lyth wrote:

Had the same problem with that firmware and a couple of others.  I reset and setup from scratch numerous times but it made no difference.  Went back to 2.6.1.40 and it's been solid for at least 2 months with no random blocked devices weirdness.


If more people would practice what you did they would be better off, and to take a one step further, stop performing manual firmware updates unless you want to end up in here asking for help.  But don't be surprised that some who 'offer help' won't actually admit the firmware is faulty.  

 

 

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

You in the US region or outside? If your in outside the US regon, v2.7 versions are not meant for those regions. v40 would be most current version for ALL regions outside of the US region. 


@Lyth wrote:

Had the same problem with that firmware and a couple of others.  I reset and setup from scratch numerous times but it made no difference.  Went back to 2.6.1.40 and it's been solid for at least 2 months with no random blocked devices weirdness.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 10 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices


@FURRYe38 wrote:

You in the US region or outside? If your in outside the US regon, v2.7 versions are not meant for those regions. v40 would be most current version for ALL regions outside of the US region. 


@Lyth wrote:

Had the same problem with that firmware and a couple of others.  I reset and setup from scratch numerous times but it made no difference.  Went back to 2.6.1.40 and it's been solid for at least 2 months with no random blocked devices weirdness.


 


he's already stated no mas

Message 11 of 18
Lyth
Guide

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices


@FURRYe38 wrote:

You in the US region or outside? If your in outside the US regon, v2.7 versions are not meant for those regions. v40 would be most current version for ALL regions outside of the US region. 


@Lyth wrote:

Had the same problem with that firmware and a couple of others.  I reset and setup from scratch numerous times but it made no difference.  Went back to 2.6.1.40 and it's been solid for at least 2 months with no random blocked devices weirdness.


 


I'm in the US.  I was one who had their firmware autoupdate magically overnight by netgear last summer or fall which caused me a load of headaches.  I think that was 2.5.4.something.  So when 2.7 came out, I jumped on it only to end up in even worse shape.  Otherwise I wouldn't have touched it.

Message 12 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

just curous....what does this actually mean..."magically overnight"

Message 13 of 18
Lyth
Guide

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices


@vajim wrote:

just curous....what does this actually mean..."magically overnight"


Netgear pushed their firmware update without any interaction or conesnt on my part sometime in the middle of the night.  In the 2 or 3 years I've had my Orbi, it was the first time this has happened.  

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

Well have seen others with problems that have had NG auto updates pushed to there systems. Usually a manual re-load of FW using actual FW files helps with this. Seems that thus auto push update causes more problems then anything. Why I manually udpdate using FW files most of the time. Sometimes I reset and setup from scratch. This last v102 I let the system download the files using the RBRs web page and selected Update ALL. Powered OFF for 30 seconds then back ON. System has been stable and online since:

UpTimev102.png


@Lyth wrote:


I'm in the US.  I was one who had their firmware autoupdate magically overnight by netgear last summer or fall which caused me a load of headaches.  I think that was 2.5.4.something.  So when 2.7 came out, I jumped on it only to end up in even worse shape.  Otherwise I wouldn't have touched it.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 15 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices


@Lyth wrote:

@vajim wrote:

just curous....what does this actually mean..."magically overnight"


Netgear pushed their firmware update without any interaction or conesnt on my part sometime in the middle of the night.  In the 2 or 3 years I've had my Orbi, it was the first time this has happened.  


it's suppose to happen IF the firmware includes major security issues.

Message 16 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well have seen others with problems that have had NG auto updates pushed to there systems. Usually a manual re-load of FW using actual FW files helps with this. Seems that thus auto push update causes more problems then anything. Why I manually udpdate using FW files most of the time. Sometimes I reset and setup from scratch. This last v102 I let the system download the files using the RBRs web page and selected Update ALL. Powered OFF for 30 seconds then back ON. System has been stable and online since:

UpTimev102.png



Has your system ever failed because of a NG auto push?

Message 17 of 18
vajim
Master

Re: ORBI RB50 keeps blocking devices

I didn't think so

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1606 views
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E