Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK 23 working with Verizon FiOS Modem

Snick22
Tutor

ORBI RBK 23 working with Verizon FiOS Modem

Have a FiOS modem/router combination that works, but has dead spots in the house.  Purchased the RBK23 tri-band WiFi router to get the coverage needed.  Set up seemed straight forward the the FiOS router went away automatically (I did not have to disable it.)  HOWEVER:

1)  There might be too many firewalls and anti-virus apps.  I cannot go to an open (www.) Internet site without getting an authentication error asking me for login ID, password, and router number.  When I see this, I don't provide this information.  Instead, I type "https://" in the url and I am connected.  Not the right way to do business.

(a)  FiOS has a firewall.  RBK23 has two firewalls, one of which is disabled but I cannot access the base to disable the outbound firewall.

(b)  RBK23 has anti-virus.  Each of my computers and devices has anti-virus installed because they are not always on the home network.

2)  I have a whole house SONOS system that requires Internet access.  SONOS is wired throughout the house.  To make this work at all, I need to connect the RBK23 base to the FiOS modem and connect the SONOS base to the ethernet port on the RBK23.  I can access most of the music services SONOS offers, but not SiriusXM.  Yes, I have a SiriusXM account.  When I look at the credentials in the RBK23 base, I have one set for RBK23/SONOS to connect to SiriusXM (not my set up) and a different set for streaming SiriusXM.  I cannot get into the RBK23 base as admin to straighten this out.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the RBK23 base.  I have disconnected and reconnected SONOS.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled SiriusXM.  Nothing is changed.  WHAT do I need to do to get this up and running properly and HOW do I need to do it?  Thank you for your help.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Snick22
Tutor

Re: ORBI RBK 23 working with Verizon FiOS Modem

I apologize for the late response.  This took a while to straightenout.  Turns out, I gave incomplete information to everyone about my FiOS modem.  What I have is a FiOS Quantum Gateway - a different animal from a FiOS modem/router combo.  After several hours with Verizon, I learned that they have a separate team of technicians for the Quantum Gateway.

Once I got hooked up with the Quantum Gateway team, everyone agreed that the double NAT situation was the cause and the team took control of my laptop (now connected via ethernet cable to the Quantum Gateway modem instead of wifi) to go pretty deep into the settings to turn a LOT of stuff off or redirect the links.  We had to reset the FiOS to factory settings twice to get it all done. 

Once the FiOS quantum Gateway router was not just turned off but also had a pass-through set up, the attention turned to the ORBI RBK23 router.  Another reset to factory settings followed by the customization routine (which I had done correctly the first time), and VOILA!

The ORBI RBK23 and the two satellites have always worked very well, but now the access to tthe internet is also perfect.  The only thing I had to do was to go to each of the seven computers, three printers, three cell phones, three SONOS controllers, and three TVs and make sure they were connected and working at full speed.  They are.  I am happy.  Thank you to the Netgear Community for your help in directing me to the right solution. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 6
Snick22
Tutor

I apologize for the late response.  This took a while to straightenout.  Turns out, I gave incomplete information to everyone about my FiOS modem.  What I have is a FiOS Quantum Gateway - a different animal from a FiOS modem/router combo.  After several hours with Verizon, I learned that they have a separate team of technicians for the Quantum Gateway.

Once I got hooked up with the Quantum Gateway team, everyone agreed that the double NAT situation was the cause and the team took control of my laptop (now connected via ethernet cable to the Quantum Gateway modem instead of wifi) to go pretty deep into the settings to turn a LOT of stuff off or redirect the links.  We had to reset the FiOS to factory settings twice to get it all done. 

Once the FiOS quantum Gateway router was not just turned off but also had a pass-through set up, the attention turned to the ORBI RBK23 router.  Another reset to factory settings followed by the customization routine (which I had done correctly the first time), and VOILA!

The ORBI RBK23 and the two satellites have always worked very well, but now the access to tthe internet is also perfect.  The only thing I had to do was to go to each of the seven computers, three printers, three cell phones, three SONOS controllers, and three TVs and make sure they were connected and working at full speed.  They are.  I am happy.  Thank you to the Netgear Community for your help in directing me to the right solution. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad all is working well now. Be sure to save off a new backup configuration to file. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 6
Snick22
Tutor

Thanks Furrye38.  Now, how do I mark this thread as solved?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Select the Marked Solved button in this thread. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7