Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK 40 ring light issue

jimng
Aspirant

ORBI RBK 40 ring light issue

hi, can you let me know how to turn off the LED ring light? or set the wifi to off at night time. My orbi sattelite is in my bedroom and the connection is not always good to the main unit due to hallways etc. The LED flashes blue/ purple amber non stop all night long and i have to pull the power cord to shut off. Its like a light show in my bedroom. Please let me know what to do to stop this LED Ring from lighting up. Thanks Jim
Message 1 of 8
DickDuke
Apprentice

Re: ORBI RBK 40 ring light issue

Hi Jim,

the LED stops flashing a few minutes after it successfully syncs with the Router. If it’s still flashing, it isn’t connected. So, if you are perfectly happy with your network Wifi performances right now, you can just remove the satellite completely. If you’d like to get the full performance benefit of your mesh network, you need to sync the satellite to the router.

The Orbi app will help you, or log into the router from your computer and use the Add Satellite function 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@jimng wrote:
hi, can you let me know how to turn off the LED ring light? or set the wifi to off at night time. My orbi sattelite is in my bedroom and the connection is not always good to the main unit due to hallways etc. The LED flashes blue/ purple amber non stop all night long and i have to pull the power cord to shut off. Its like a light show in my bedroom. Please let me know what to do to stop this LED Ring from lighting up. Thanks Jim

Message 3 of 8
jimng
Aspirant

Thanks.  It is synced and most of the time its a long blue light.  I don't mind during the day but at night time its still full blue.

I live in Hong Kong and most of the walls are cement, so the connection is not always good.  1500 sq ft home.  The main unit is in the living room, the network has to passthrough a hallway, then turn right  to another corridor to my sattelite unit in my bedroom.  I tried many spots in the house and this is the only way to get full coverage of the mesh network.  All i want is to shut off the light ring.  Anyone know?  i don't mind the spotchy network, i just need to get rid of the light.  (some other post i read suggest that its faulty and i should return it?) 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@jimng wrote:

Thanks.  It is synced and most of the time its a long blue light.  I don't mind during the day but at night time its still full blue.

I live in Hong Kong and most of the walls are cement, so the connection is not always good.  1500 sq ft home.  The main unit is in the living room, the network has to passthrough a hallway, then turn right  to another corridor to my sattelite unit in my bedroom.  I tried many spots in the house and this is the only way to get full coverage of the mesh network.  All i want is to shut off the light ring.  Anyone know?  i don't mind the spotchy network, i just need to get rid of the light.  (some other post i read suggest that its faulty and i should return it?) 

Message 5 of 8
jimng
Aspirant

its only 20 feet apart but turned a corner.  I'll check on the firmware and see if i can change channel

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@jimng wrote:

Something is "not right."  Orbi documentation describes how the Orbi ring LED are supposed to work:

Satellite and router ring LEDs
Pulsing white. Your Orbi router and satellite are applying a configuration or updating their firmware.
OFF. Your Orbi router and satellite are working normally.

Satellite ring LEDs
Solid white. Your Orbi satellite is powering up.
Pulsing magenta. When your Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses magenta for the first time, it means that your satellite is attempting to connect to your Orbi router. If the ring LED pulses magenta for more than one minute, it could be for the following reasons: the satellite lost the connection to the router or the satellite is unable to get an IP address from the router.
Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router.
Solid blue. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid blue for 10 seconds, the connection between your Orbi router and satellite is good.
Solid amber. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid amber for 10 seconds, the connection between the router and satellite is fair.

"Solid blue" is supposed to last for 10 seconds.  If the top ring is solid blue for hours, the device is not behaving as it should.

When you look at the Orbi "Attached Devices", does it show the Satellite connection?  Does it show devices attached to the Satellite?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet maybe too close, try 30 feet.

@jimng wrote:

its only 20 feet apart but turned a corner.  I'll check on the firmware and see if i can change channel

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7