Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK 53 WiFi slower on router than satellites

rexmos
Aspirant

ORBI RBK 53 WiFi slower on router than satellites

Installed my RBK53 yesterday, Firmware auto updated to latest version. Unfortunately my phone access point is in one corner of the house, so not an optimal Router location. My problem is that the dowload speed when I connect my laptop to the router is 75mbps and when I connect wirelessly to the satellites is 75mbps. This is the max speed that I can get as I'm  on BT Infinity 2 which is 80mbps. So that's great for me, much better than previously.

However, wireless download speed, standing 6 feet from the router is only 45mbps, where before it was 75mbps. Is there something I can do to increase this?

Rexmos

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: ORBI RBK 53 WiFi slower on router than satellites

Be certain that both the router and satellite are running the same firmware. If not, update the satellite first, then the router. Reboot the router then reboot the satellite.

WiFi signals will NEVER be as fast as hardwire ethernet. Most of the speed loss is from interference and inherent latency. Check the channels of both the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. Do not use "auto" channels seltection. Try channels 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4 gHz and 40, 44, 48 for 5 gHz. Alternatively, you could run a diagnostic program on your desktop to see which WiFi channels are clearest (Mac OS has a built-in test, Windows requires a 3rd party app.). 

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Be certain that both the router and satellite are running the same firmware. If not, update the satellite first, then the router. Reboot the router then reboot the satellite.

WiFi signals will NEVER be as fast as hardwire ethernet. Most of the speed loss is from interference and inherent latency. Check the channels of both the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. Do not use "auto" channels seltection. Try channels 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4 gHz and 40, 44, 48 for 5 gHz. Alternatively, you could run a diagnostic program on your desktop to see which WiFi channels are clearest (Mac OS has a built-in test, Windows requires a 3rd party app.). 

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 3
rexmos
Aspirant

Hi tucsontico

Thanks, that worked fine. I used the MacOS diagnostic tool to find the best channels, applied them and Hey Presto Router speed is now the same as the satellites.

Many thanks for your help

Rexmos

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7