Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBK22 5GHz has no devices connected

alisrael
Aspirant

ORBI RBK22 5GHz has no devices connected

Hi ,

I recently replace my WNDR3800 router with ORBI RBR20, and RBS20.   Connected per the setup documentation.   My satellite is connected with a good signal, and the router is very close my devices (Amazon Firestick, Roku Ultra, and LG WebOS, and three iPhone 10R, all capable of 5Ghz).   When I look at the attached devices, not a single device is connected on the 5GHz bandwidth.   Called the tech support, and he asked me to set the 2.4 GHz to channel 6, and 5GHz to 44.   The 5GHz keeps turning back to 36, and everytime I start the router, I see devices connected to 5GHz, and slowly they all return to 2.4 GHz.   I do have quite a bit of smart devices which only connect on the 2.4 GHz.  I have a total of 27 devices connected to the device.

Any suggestion/recommendation to fix the issue.

My wireless setup (Advanced tab)

2.4 GHz

Enable SSID - checked

Broadcast Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - unchecked

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) - Checked

settings CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)

Preamble Mode  Automatic 

Transmit Power Control   100% 

5GHz

Enable SSID Broadcast - checked

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) - checked

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)

Preamble Mode Automatic    

Transmit Power Control  100% 

Other settings

Backhaul Topology Enable Daisy-Chain Topology   - checked   

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - checked

Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices - checked

Enable MU-MIMO Enable Fast Roaming - checked

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What happens if you uncheck 

2.4 GHz

Enable SSID - checked? 

Message 2 of 4
alisrael
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware  2.3.5.26.   I am using the ISP provider's modem.  The home is about 3000 Sq. Ft.   The distance between the router and the satellite is less than 20 feet, and the connection shows good.   There are a few, and I cannot disable 2.4, as all my smart home devices require 2.4 GHz.   I ended returning the unit, and buying a Netgear Nighthawk X6s AC3600, and everything is working fine.   However, I have the smart connect disabled, and I have three separate SSIDs, which is still ok, as I have excellent coverage of the 5Ghz throughout the house now.  

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

You can temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast on the Orbi while you get the 2.4Ghz devices set up. 

These were probably some conditions that could have been corrected to get your devices connected. Oh well.

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7