Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI (RBK23) with a second RBR

Imulji
Guide

ORBI (RBK23) with a second RBR

HI there,

I have the RBK 23 system (1 router and 2 satelittes) and the system works great but I have one dead spot for my wifi.  Being that I am in Canada I cannot find or its cost prohibitive to find satellites,  I bought a RBR40 from eBay for cheap.  

I am aware that I can use the RBR in AP mode and wired which works great for my setup, but my question is, does adding another RBR in AP mode work with the mesh system or will it cause potentially Crossed channels as a result of adding another RBR?

If so any suggestions to minimize the issue?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI (RBK23) with a second RBR

RBRs can only work in main router mode or AP mode. Not as satellites. 

Yes you can use the RBR in AP mode, however you need to keep the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels between the two RBRs far appart. So RBR1 set 2.4Ghz to channel 1 and the RBR2 set to channel 11. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 4
Imulji
Guide

It will be about 20 feet away but in a room (walled with doors).  I will play with the signal strength and change up the channels.

Thanks for your assistance!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet maybe too close. 30 feet is recommended starting point. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7