Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: ORBI RBK50/RBS50 Tips, Tricks, Hidden Secrets, etc.,

...clarifying earlier posts above thanks to @notepro's feedback:

@notepro wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

@notepro wrote:

It might be clearer to me once I understand the naming system.  So does wlg1_ssid refer to Satellite 1 on the Guest Network? Does wla1_ssid refer Satellite 1 on the Main wifi network?  If so, what is the designation for Satellite 2 on both the Guest and Main networks?  Sorry for my confusion.

These two variables are used by Guest network only.  wla1_ssid is just a variable to store Guest SSID name for 5GHz, similarly wlg1_ssid stores Guest SSID name for 2.4GHz.  Each of these 2 variables will tell Orbi/Satellite what Guest SSID to broadcast.  By default, both stores the same Guest SSID for both bands.  The Main WiFi network uses a different set of variables to store its SSID i.e., wla_ssid and wl_ssid.

Think of it as two different WiFi networks.  Whatever changes we make to Guest SSID (wla1_ssid/wlg1_ssid) won't affect the Main nerwork SSID (wla_ssid/wl_ssid) at all.

For examples:

• To force Satellite-1 broadcasting unique 5GHz Guest SSID name, telnet into Satellite-1, and set its wla1_ssid="Satellite-1-5GHz"
  • To force Satellite-2 broadcasting a different Guest SSID from Satellite-1, telnet into Satellite-2, and set its wla1_ssid="Satellite-2-5GHz"
  • To force Orbi broadcasting a different Guest SSID, telnet into Orbi, and set its wla1_ssid="Orbi-5GHz"

Hope this helps!

Wow, thank you for that. So much clearer and I appreciate your help.

Message 101 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

If anyone runs into a similar situation where Orbi Satellites are online with "Good" backhaul status, but clients attached to Satellites have no Internet acccess, a simple diag is to verify that Satellites themselves have Internet access by doing firmware check via Online Firmware Update as seen bellow.  If all is well, all should say "No new firmware version available."  Otherwise, a reboot of modem/router/Orbi will likely fix it.

v2.5.1.8 Auto FW Update Switch.png

Message 102 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Misc Orbi performance tweaks, telnet into Orbi and Satellite(s) and run these commands:

1. Turn timestamps off to reduce performance spikes related to timestamp generation.  The default value is 1 (on).
    • net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps
  2. The normal TCP stack behavior is set to favor decisions that maximize network throughput. This parameter, when set, tells TCP to instead make decisions that would prefer lower latency.  The default value is 0 (off). For workloads or environments where latency is a higher priority, the recommended value is 1 (on).
    • net.ipv4.tcp_low_latency
  3. Get the current default value (On/Off = 1/0)
    • sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps
    • sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_low_latency
  4. Set the new value (On/Off = 1/0)
    • sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps=0
    • sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_low_latency=1
  5. To revert the changes back to default
    • sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps=1
    • sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_low_latency=0

Note: The changes won't surive across reboots.

Message 103 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just to want share my current Orbi setup, which has been holding up under heavy WiFi usage due to Stay-At-Home order in CA.  If you have WiFi drops or video conference issues, give this a try.  Good luck and be safe!

FW v2.5.1.8.png

Message 104 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@sclawrenc wrote:

Anyone here know how to successfully separate the 2.4 and 5ghz band on the Orbi using telnet on the latest firmware?  Thanks in advance!

Here's the instruction from @dwood on how to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi.

----------------------------------------

Apply all of the following commands to BOTH devices at the same time via telnet sessions. You can enable Telnet for each device by ticking the Telnet check box in the debug page for each unit. http://YOUR DEVICE IP ADDRESS GOES HERE /debug.htm

Before you try to change the SSIDS run the below command on each device. This turns off automatic merging of the two SSID's back in to one SSID after a reboot. (This is the most common issue on the latest firmware).

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

config commit

If you ever need to reverse this setting use the command:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=0

config commit

The commands below will then set the the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks to the names you want:

config set wl_ssid="YOUR SSID 2.4Ghz NAME"
config set wla_ssid="YOUR SSID 5Ghz NAME"
config commit

The commands below check the SSID names have been set as required and apply a reboot when ready.

config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid
reboot

Only reboot the RBR50. Switch the satellite RBS50 off once you have issued the command and dont bring it back online until the RBR50 has fully rebooted and settled and you can see both SSIDS's

Again...  Make sure you have commited all of the commnds on both devices before issuing the reboot command to reboot the RBR50.

Once the RBR50 is back on line and both SSID's are availabel switch onthe sattelite RBS50 and let it settle. It will also begin advertising the new SSID's

Message 105 of 164
Highlighted
Apprentice

Thank you so much!!

@SW_ wrote:

@sclawrenc wrote:

Anyone here know how to successfully separate the 2.4 and 5ghz band on the Orbi using telnet on the latest firmware?  Thanks in advance!

Here's the instruction from @dwood on how to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi.

----------------------------------------

Apply all of the following commands to BOTH devices at the same time via telnet sessions. You can enable Telnet for each device by ticking the Telnet check box in the debug page for each unit. http://YOUR DEVICE IP ADDRESS GOES HERE /debug.htm

Before you try to change the SSIDS run the below command on each device. This turns off automatic merging of the two SSID's back in to one SSID after a reboot. (This is the most common issue on the latest firmware).

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

config commit

If you ever need to reverse this setting use the command:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=0

config commit

The commands below will then set the the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks to the names you want:

config set wl_ssid="YOUR SSID 2.4Ghz NAME"
config set wla_ssid="YOUR SSID 5Ghz NAME"
config commit

The commands below check the SSID names have been set as required and apply a reboot when ready.

config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid
reboot

Only reboot the RBR50. Switch the satellite RBS50 off once you have issued the command and dont bring it back online until the RBR50 has fully rebooted and settled and you can see both SSIDS's

Again...  Make sure you have commited all of the commnds on both devices before issuing the reboot command to reboot the RBR50.

Once the RBR50 is back on line and both SSID's are availabel switch onthe sattelite RBS50 and let it settle. It will also begin advertising the new SSID's

Message 106 of 164
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Here is a good way to configure IoT devices that only work on the 2.4GHz frequency. This method should work for most IoT devices that require your smart phone to also be on the 2.4GHz frequency to configure their WiFi.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
  2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
  3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
  4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
  5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
  6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
  7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
  8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
  9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
  10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.
RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 107 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

If Orib is pulsing white after a reset, just leave it alone until it stops pulsing, which could take hours.  It will eventually come back up and broadcast default SSID.  At the meantime, don't hit reset again.  If you keep resetting repeatedly, Orbi might end up in another bad situation, where its LED will blink RED, then solid GREEN, and not the expected AMBER. That will take Orbi even longer to come back online.

Be patient and avoid hitting the reset repeatedly while trying to get it back online.  If reset is done correctly the first time, Orbi will get back to factory default settings.  If you ever find yourself in this situation, don't panic.  Try this:

1. Power off Orbi/Satellites for 30s
  2. Unplug all cables from Orbi router/satellite LAN ports
  3. Power on Orbi router and leave it alone while it's pulsing white until it stops
  4. Wait for Orbi to start broadcasting default SSID
  5. Once it's setup and running again, power on the first Satellite
  6. Once first Satellite is up and running, rinse and repeat with the next Satellite

If you're curious: What do the LEDs on my Orbi router and satellite mean? 

Good luck!

Message 108 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just ran into an interesting issue with Orbi IP address reservation.  I carved out the upper range of IP address, starting from 250-254, which will be assgined to Orbi router, 2 satellites, a printer, and a desktop client.  Here is the IP reservation scheme, which Orbi shouldn't touch them, but..

• Orbi Router      => 192.168.1.254
  • Orbi Satellite-2 => 192.168.1.253
  • Orbi Satellite-1 => 192.168.1.252
  • Printer              => 192.168.1.251
  • Desktop client  => 192.168.1.250

This scheme has been working quite well until I rebooted one of the Satellites, which caused my desktop client to suddenly disconnect from the network because the Orbi Satellite has breifly reclaimed 192.168.1.250 from my desktop client while Satellite comes online.  I got a pop up message on the desktop saying that 192.168.1.250 has been used by another client, i.e. Orbi Satellite.

This happens because Orbi assumes that it owns 192.168.1.250 while it's coming online and doesn't expect any other client to be using it, which is bogus.  The result was that Orbi Satellite is stuck with PINK ring and the desktop client lost network/LAN connection, double whammy.

To avoid this problem or network disruption, limit DHCP upper range to 192.168.1.249.  Don't use the special IP address, 192.168.1.250, for anything or any client.  It's reserved for Orbi before Orbi can get its real IP address assigned.

Solution:

• Orbi Router      => 192.168.1.254
  • Orbi Satellite-2 => 192.168.1.253
  • Orbi Satellite-1 => 192.168.1.252
  • Printer              => 192.168.1.251
  • Desktop client  => 192.168.1.249

Message 109 of 164
Highlighted
Guru

Yes, the default IP address for the RBS when it can't get connected is 192.168.1.250 or not synced upon initial setup. Allows for 1 wired PC to connect to the back of the RBS and acess it's web page. We have users connect to this IP address when there RBS are not on the same version of FW as the RBR and needs to be updated.

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 110 of 164
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

I am planning on putting a firewall infront of the rbk50 which would also act as dhcp.

The idea is to have different vlans wired and wireless.

the rbk50 would be on AP mode.

from everything I read (old posts) this is setup is not possible with the rbk50.

could anyone please share their experience?

thanks

Message 111 of 164
Highlighted
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@kyngor wrote:

Hi,

I am planning on putting a firewall infront of the rbk50 which would also act as dhcp.

The idea is to have different vlans wired and wireless.

the rbk50 would be on AP mode.

from everything I read (old posts) this is setup is not possible with the rbk50.

could anyone please share their experience?

thanks

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
Message 112 of 164
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the basics of the setup. I think my question was not clear.

With the rbk50 being in AP mode, and vlans setup on the firewall/gateway, how would I be able to map the vlans to the private and quest wifi on the orbi?

Message 113 of 164
Highlighted
Sensei

@kyngor wrote:

With the rbk50 being in AP mode, and vlans setup on the firewall/gateway, how would I be able to map the vlans to the private and guest wifi on the orbi?

Do not think this is possible.  Once devices connect to the Orbi, they will broadcast a DHCP request the Orbi will send "up the wire".  There will be no way to distinguish these DHCP requests from any others, except (possibly) they may not find a match in the DHCP reservation table.  (In my opinion), Orbi is not a WiFi solution that is friendly to VLAN.

I love my Orbi.
Message 114 of 164
Highlighted
Guru

Orbi in AP Mode is just pass thru traffic from the clients to the main host router. 

Message 115 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

To protect family/kids from malicious Internet content, DNS filtering is simplest defense and it's free.  There are quite a few of free/paid DNS filtering services out there, but I find that free DNS filtering service is sufficient for me.

My two favorite free services are Cloudflare Gateway and CleanBrowsing DNS Filters.

I've tried both services and I found that CleanBrowsing/Adult Filter is best and simplest to setup.  However, if you want a nice DNS report, flexibilty (what to block), and speed, stick with CloudFlare Gateway.  The setup process is similar for both, just point your router/Orbi DNS servers to their IP addresses.  That's it!

Good luck!

Message 116 of 164
Highlighted
Sensei

@SW_ wrote:

To protect family/kids from malicious Internet content, DNS filtering is simplest defense and it's free.  There are quite a few of free/paid DNS filtering services out there, but I find that free DNS filtering service is sufficient for me.

This is neat solution as long as family/kids are not able to define network parameters on the devices they use.  On a Windows computer, for example, it is a good practice to use a "non Administrative" logon for normal day-to-day activities. (This is my practice.)  Lack of admin priviledges blocks a lot of internet mayhem. It also means that the non admin user cannot change the TCP parameters to a different DNS service.  However, it also means that the user cannot install software.  In my case, this means that every time I want to fool around with network parameters or install/update software, I have to enter the admin password.  Were I not obsessive complusive, this would get old really quickly.

I love my Orbi.
Message 117 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

A solution would be to intercept/redirect DNS requests to the target/local DNS servers with simple firewall rules.  Even if the smart kids manage to change DNS settings on their devices, all their DNS requests will be redirected and will not make it pass the router/Orbi.  That's exactly what I did with my setup.

Message 118 of 164
Sensei

@SW_ wrote:

A solution would be to intercept/redirect DNS requests to the target/local DNS servers with simple firewall rules.  Even if the smart kids manage to change DNS settings on their devices, all their DNS requests will be redirected and will not make it pass the router/Orbi.  That's exactly what I did with my setup.

There is an option on the Orbi to intercept and redirect DNS queries?  Where do I find that?

I love my Orbi.
Message 119 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

If Orbi is in Router Mode, look at Secuirty in the Advanced section.  If Orbi is in AP Mode, check router Firewall section.

Message 120 of 164
Highlighted
Sensei

This is really cool.  So Blocking the DNS service will prevent any device from using any DNS other than the Orbi's internal DNS?

I love my Orbi.
Message 121 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, that's one way to do it.

Another way would be to define a rule to redirect DNS requests if the source IP address is not the IP address of Router/Orbi.

Message 122 of 164
Highlighted
Sensei

Well, "No Cigar" for me.  In Security, I added "Block DNS" for IP range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100.  My Orbi router is 192.168.1.1.

Killed DNS completely.  My computer that is set not to use the Orbi for DNS, and my other Windows 10 computer which gets DNS from the Orbi.  The goal was to block my computer from using "non Orbi DNS", but allow computers using Orbi DNS to function.

How do I set up a "redirect" rule?

I love my Orbi.
Message 123 of 164
Highlighted
Sensei

The Orbi log contains entries for my "non-Orbi DNS" computer 192.168.1.2 and for my "use Orbi DNS" computer 192.168.1.3

[service blocked: DNS] from source 192.168.1.2, Tuesday, May 05, 2020 11:18:00
[service blocked: DNS] from source 192.168.1.3, Tuesday, May 05, 2020 11:17:59

Looks like "Block" means "Block"

I love my Orbi.
Message 124 of 164
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:

How do I set up a "redirect" rule?

Port forwarding is your friend.

For example, define a NAT rule to forward all requests with destination port == DNS port (53) to Router DNS server IP address.  My Orbi is in AP Mode and I can't experiment with such a change right now.  My setup with a simple NAT rule to redirect (port forwarding) is done on my pfSense router.

Message 125 of 164
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements