Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK50 intranet speed?

Mike_EE
Aspirant

ORBI RBK50 intranet speed?

Hi - 

What is the maximum intranet (intra-home) speed from one RBK50 to another without an Ethernet backhaul? I would like to buy three of these, connect a master to my cable modem (and several other devices) and the other two connected to devices in other rooms. What I'm specifically trying to determine is the maximum sustained intranet client-to-client file transfer speed, which I would to be as close to 1GB Ethernet...but without the wires.

Any insight? Thanks in advance!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK50 intranet speed?

Depends upon wireless client HW, HW design, signal quality and environment. Usually wireless speeds will not see much over 400-500Mb. MIMO and #x#(2x2 and 3x3 antenna support) will also be a factor as well. Overall wireless can't perform as well as LAN wired 1Gb connections.

Message 2 of 13
Mike_EE
Aspirant

Thanks for the response; let me rephrase the question: what would be the highest speed, under ideal conditions, from the Ethernet port of one RBK50 to another RBK50? I understand that clients speeds will vary and I also understand the WiFi is slower than wired Ethernet, but I'm trying to determine the upper bound of the RBK50/RBK50 performance.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You want to connect two RBRs together? I presume on in AP mode and the other in router mode? Trasfer rates should be close to or near 1Gb however again, depends on the adapters user and client PCs and how they are set up. Software like security, background running programs and CPU speed can impact how data is transfer and speeds seen. Having two of these set up like this, hard to tell. These systems are ment to run as a single unit with additional satellites. I presume the speeds will be good between them if you use the 2nd RBR in AP mode so theres not active routing involved. However having two MESH wifi signal in close proximity could be problematic.

Message 4 of 13
Mike_EE
Aspirant

Thanks for the ongoing dialog.

I don't know what the ideal configuration is and am open to suggestion. I'm rather new to mesh(ing), as I have simply wired my homes with Ethernet in the past but have limited options in my new condo. This is why I'm looking for, without regard to the clients, the fastest room-to-room connection without wires. I've already tried a PL1200 system and it was much slower than the specs would suggest.

Again, thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So you are trying to out fit this condo? How big is this place? SqFt and how many floors?

I have a Orbi system and use jusy the base and 1 satellite in a 5000sq ft home, two story. Router and satellite at at opposite ends of the home, 40 feet in between. I have great coverage and performance throughout the home.

Message 6 of 13
Mike_EE
Aspirant

My condo has three floors and covers about 2,200 sq. ft. I have two entertainment systems and a home office, so three rooms that I would like have something that I can attach an Ethernet cable or two for the clients in each room. Perhaps this usecase only requires one RBK50, but what satellites would I need for maximum speed?

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya for that size of home, you only need 1 Orbi system, not two. Orbi systems are based on size of your home and possible how many satellites you may need. You can add more satellites if needed. I would try the 1 base router and and just 1 satellite. Placement will be key. A good starting point is 30 feet minimum. Mines at 40 feet. I 1 satellite services two PCs and a DISH Joey thats LAN cable connected to a 5Ghz NG wireless bridge that connects to the satellite in the next room.

I set my freinds system up couple of months ago, just the base and 1 satellite, however his is wired back haul connected as single were the satellite is is poor for wireless back haul. Older thick walled home.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 8 of 13
Mike_EE
Aspirant

FURRYe38 - 

Thanks for the feedback; I know understand that the RKB50 is a system and not just a single device - this wasn't immediately clear from the very pretty webpage. So it seems that I would need one RBK50 kit and one additional RBS50. Is this correct?

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The K on RBK means Kit. So what you get in a box kit is the base router and 1 or 2 satellites. I believe the RBK50 has 1 satellite while the RBK53 has two satellites in the box. IF I have this right. LOL. Could be backwards. My friend bought the one kit with two satellites in the box. I set him up for just one, however if he does happend to need the 2nd satellite at a later time frame, then we can add it. Up to you if you want to go this route as well.

Message 10 of 13
Mike_EE
Aspirant

FURRYe38 - 

Thanks for the help; I think I have it sorted now!

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, hope it all works out.

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@Mike_EE wrote:

Hi - 

What is the maximum intranet (intra-home) speed from one RBK50 to another without an Ethernet backhaul? I would like to buy three of these, connect a master to my cable modem (and several other devices) and the other two connected to devices in other rooms. What I'm specifically trying to determine is the maximum sustained intranet client-to-client file transfer speed, which I would to be as close to 1GB Ethernet...but without the wires.

Any insight? Thanks in advance!

To answer your question directly, I have measured 500 to 575 Mbps throughput between the Orbi router and the Orbi satellite, across the dedicated wireless backhaul.  The transfer was between two wired PCs--one on the router and the other on the satellite.  That was with the Orbi devices on separate floors of the home, so this represents a typical installation.  One might achieve more throughput if the devices were within line of sight, but that would not be a typical installation.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7