Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK50

paniccia
Follower

ORBI RBK50

I want to add a second satelite to my RBK50 router--Can this be done?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK50

Yes.  Any model of Orbi satellite can be connected to the RBR50 router.  (from the least expensive "wall plug" to the more costly Outdoor RBS50Y)  As long as they are "regular Orbi" (not Orbi Pro or Orbi AX) they work.

Message 2 of 4
Justanotherdude
Aspirant

I’m not sure if we are allowed to do this or not.... so hopefully this doesn’t get me in trouble by trying to offer advice.

Anyway I purchased 2 RBK50 units over a couple year period. Long story. Anyway..... once you have your RBK50 set-up with RBR and RBS synced.... you should be able to go and click add another satellite and it will find your extra RBS unit assuming you have it in set-up state.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Justanotherdude wrote:
I’m not sure if we are allowed to do this or not.... so hopefully this doesn’t get me in trouble by trying to offer advice.

This is the advice that we all give (all the time).  The question that often comes up is "what about the router that came with the second set?"

And, the answer to that question is not nearly as positive.  An Orbi "router" can only be a "router".  It can never integrate into an existing Orbi network and act as  a Satellite.  What it can be used for is to create a new WiFi network that is connected with an ethernet link to the existing Orbi network.  Right there is the first "gotcha": the ethernet link, not WiFi.  A cheapo WiFi extender (from anybody) can attach to the Orbi network over WiFi, but not the Orbi router.  The second "gotcha" is that the Orbi router is independent of the existing Orbi network.  It should be on a different channel, and probably should be given a different WiFi name (SSID).

So, your answer on the satellite is "spot on".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7