Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBK53 Region Change

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

ORBI RBK53 Region Change

If you'd like to save some bucks and buy Orbi from Costco and bring it home outside the US, but you want to make a region change from North America to your region, try this:

1. Login to Orbi/debug.htm page and enable telnet (tick telnet box)

2. telnet into Orbi and type these:

• root@RBR50:~# rm /tmp/firmware_region
  • root@RBR50:~# echo WW > /tmp/firmware_region

3. Check the result, it should return WW

• root@RBR50:~# cat /tmp/firmware_region

Go back to Advance Wireless Settings page and refresh it.  You should be able to use Region Selection drop down menu to select your region.  Alternately, you can also use artmtd command, see @ekhalil's trick.

Good luck!

Region-USA.pngOrbi-Regions.png

Message 1 of 37

Nice idea. Does not work with the RBW30.

Nor does artmtd.

Message 2 of 37
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I don't have access to RBW30, have you tried loading French firmware and see if that works for RBW30?

Message 3 of 37
Mike_D_il
Guide

For months I couldn't find a solution to my Raspberry Pi (Model 4) disconnecting reguarly from the AC3000. (To be more accurate - it was staying connected to the Orbi wifi, but somehow, had no access to the Internet). The Orbi was purchased in Canada, but the Raspberry Pi came from Europe. I repeatedly tried adjusting the Localisation settings on the Pi - but to no avail.

Then I came across this post. Although it specifies the RBK53, I decided to try it on my RBK50.

It's now 48 hours since I changed my Orbi to Europe and I'm delighted to see that I'm still attached to the Internet. Many thanks.

If someone has an explanation about what's going on here, I'd love to hear it. If my Pi is set to US, and my Orbi to North America, why would it repeadedly disconnect? Why would placing them both on Europe make a difference?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 37

@Mike_D_il wrote:

If someone has an explanation about what's going on here, I'd love to hear it. If my Pi is set to US, and my Orbi to North America, why would it repeadedly disconnect? Why would placing them both on Europe make a difference?

My guess, and it is no more than that, is that the communications standards are different.

Stuff sold in Europe is not locked to a region. The browser graphical user interface (GUI) lets us change it, with a dropdown that covers most of the world.

In the USA they lock them down. (I got sent one from  the USA.) This is probably because the FCC, or whoever sets the rules, does not allow the use various wifi bands and perhaps other things. So Netgear, and others, may just be following the law.

Message 5 of 37
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Mike_D_il wrote:

For months I couldn't find a solution to my Raspberry Pi (Model 4) disconnecting reguarly from the AC3000. (To be more accurate - it was staying connected to the Orbi wifi, but somehow, had no access to the Internet). The Orbi was purchased in Canada, but the Raspberry Pi came from Europe. I repeatedly tried adjusting the Localisation settings on the Pi - but to no avail.

Then I came across this post. Although it specifies the RBK53, I decided to try it on my RBK50.

It's now 48 hours since I changed my Orbi to Europe and I'm delighted to see that I'm still attached to the Internet. Many thanks.

Glad to hear that this trick works out for you.  Thanks for your feedback!

Message 6 of 37
BillTh
Aspirant

Please excuse a couple of basic questions regarding how to telnet into Orbi.  I've enabled telnet access and tried to access the router via ssh on my Mac.  Mac no longer has telnet included with its OS.

• Do I need to use telnet, or should ssh work?  
  • If ssh works, would the commands be the same?
  • In either case, what do I need to enter on the command line in Mac terminal to proceed?  WhenI enter ssh admin@[ip address] access is denied.

Thank you.

Bill

Message 7 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

192.168.1.1/debug.htm then select the check box next to Enable Telnet to enable it. You have to enable it first to access telnet. 

@BillTh wrote:

Please excuse a couple of basic questions regarding how to telnet into Orbi.  I've enabled telnet access and tried to access the router via ssh on my Mac.  Mac no longer has telnet included with its OS.

• In either case, what do I need to enter on the command line in Mac terminal to proceed?  WhenI enter ssh admin@[ip address] access is denied.

Thank you.

Bill

Message 8 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

As far as I can tell, Orbi does not support ssh.

Message 9 of 37
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@BillTh wrote:

Thank you.

Bill

Apple removed telnet cmd from macOS.  If you want to get telnet cmd back, check out this how to enable telnet cmd on macOS.

Good Luck!

Message 10 of 37
BillTh
Aspirant

Thanks for the help!  I installed telnet on my Mac and it worked fine.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 37
Mike_D_il
Guide

Hi Bill,

From my recollection it was pretty simple and I didn't need to add anything to my MAC. You should use Telnet, not SSH. Take a look at this:

https://www.siteground.com/kb/mac_terminal_telnet/

Mike

Message 12 of 37
BillTh
Aspirant

Thanks Mike.  Unfortunately, Apple has removed Telnet from its OS in recent releases.  Here's a link that talks to that and provides options to install Telnet.  I went with the first option.

Regards,

Bill

Message 13 of 37
simzhewei
Aspirant

HI, this no longer seems to work. I tried with my router firmware is V2.3.5.30.

I telnet succesfully and change the file but when I login it doesn't give the option to change region under advanced wireless. 

Message 14 of 37

@simzhewei wrote:

I telnet succesfully and change the file but when I login it doesn't give the option to change region under advanced wireless. 

Can you explain exactly what you did?

What do you mean by "change the file"?

My memory is that this is what I did:

Re: Orbi RKB53 global differences - NETGEAR Communities 

Message 15 of 37
simzhewei
Aspirant

I enabled telnet and telnetted in,

I used both:

and check the result, it should return WW

also 

artmtd -r region

The region number is: 0x0002

REGION: WW

I logged back into the router and went to the advanced wireless and refreshed. This is what I see:

Message 16 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Region is on the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings

Message 17 of 37
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@simzhewei wrote:

I enabled telnet and telnetted in,

I used both:

and check the result, it should return WW

also 

artmtd -r region

The region number is: 0x0002

REGION: WW

I logged back into the router and went to the advanced wireless and refreshed. This is what I see:

Just tried this on the latest FW version (v2.5.0.40) and it's still working for me.  Check out the attached picture.

Message 18 of 37
simzhewei
Aspirant

Thank you for the screenshot. I realised my firmware wasn't up to date. Though I had used the app to update it, it was still only on version 2.3.5.30. Having said that even after manually updating to the latest firmware (2.5.0.40) I still don't see region setting changes. In fact my advanced wireless settings menu looks much more basic than the screenshot you have provided. 

Please see mine attached. If any ideas how to fix this, please let me know! BTW just checking but I am using RBK53, I'm assuming that this is exactly the same model for everyone?

Cheers,

Message 19 of 37

@simzhewei wrote:

BTW just checking but I am using RBK53, I'm assuming that this is exactly the same model for everyone?

Cheers,

No, but the instructions are generic, for all models. Just change the instructions.
Message 20 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

You are still on the wrong screen.  On the Advanced Tab, go down to the bottom, to Advanced Setup, then Wireless Settings.

Message 21 of 37
simzhewei
Aspirant

I am an idiot. Thank you!

Message 22 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

We idiots have to stick together.  Technology has made our lives plenty complicated.  Good Luck with your Orbi.

Message 23 of 37
Mike_D_il
Guide

I successully did it on my 2.3.5.30 this morning.

Message 24 of 37
Mike_D_il
Guide

On my setup, it seems to revert back to "US only" now and again. (I DO click Apply). I can't find anywhere that the Orbi automatically updates. What am I missing?

@SW_ wrote:

@Mike_D_il wrote:

Glad to hear that this trick works out for you.  Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks,

Mike

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7