Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBK53 installation problems with bt homehub

Mattblack13
Follower

ORBI RBK53 installation problems with bt homehub

Hello,

We decided to upgrade from our current airport extreme with airport express satellites to the RBK53.

I've gone through the installation multiple times on the iOS app and via a laptop. Each time it seems to have installed correctly but the speeds are a faction of what it should be (5mbps instead of 80mbs). Via wifi I was easily getting 50mbs with my old setup, with the Orbi setup we are getting max 5mbps, even with a satellite setup next to my pc.

The homehub has its wifi turned off and I have tried putting Orbi into router and AP mode (AP mode seems to throttle the speeds even further). 

I've order netgear modem and am going to see if I replacing the BT Homehub improves matters. 

Is there anything else I have overlooked? 

Cheers

EDIT: sorry neglected to mention that the speeds show as normal via the iOS app

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
martyfp
Luminary

Not sure about your connection issue - but maybe make sure that there is no IP address conflict between the orbi and the BT home hub.

Personally, I put my HH in the bin and replaced it with a Vigor 130 modem, then use the Orbi in AP mode.  Works great for me.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@Mattblack13 wrote:

Hello,

We decided to upgrade from our current airport extreme with airport express satellites to the RBK53.

I've gone through the installation multiple times on the iOS app and via a laptop. Each time it seems to have installed correctly but the speeds are a faction of what it should be (5mbps instead of 80mbs). Via wifi I was easily getting 50mbs with my old setup, with the Orbi setup we are getting max 5mbps, even with a satellite setup next to my pc.

The homehub has its wifi turned off and I have tried putting Orbi into router and AP mode (AP mode seems to throttle the speeds even further). 

I've order netgear modem and am going to see if I replacing the BT Homehub improves matters. 

Is there anything else I have overlooked? 

Cheers

EDIT: sorry neglected to mention that the speeds show as normal via the iOS app

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7