Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK53

JonSina72
Aspirant

ORBI RBK53

I have the rbk53 but my problem is that the phone line is by the front door, hence as far as I can workout the router has to go there.

The 2 satellites are split - one in the middle of the house, and the other at the far end.

I get a good signal to the one in the middle, but poor to the one at the far end.

Can I use satellite to satellite instead of router to satellite? As the signal would probably be good if the link was sat to sat.  My only other option that I can see is to use Ethernet over power plugs to get the Router to the middle of the house (which will lose me half the speed of the Orbi) unless I’m missing something...

Also, I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 - is there a way to utilise this in the “mesh”?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK53

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. This would enable satellite to satellite connection, however they need to be in a linear line out from the main base router. Like a chain of christmas lights. 

The R8000 can't be used in the MESH system.

Message 2 of 4
JonSina72
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

thanks for for your help, I’ll give the daisy chain a go.

My router is a Sky Hub router (the one that comes with Sky Q - there is no obvious rebrand on it)

theres approximately 30 feet between the router and satellite 1 and then 30 feet between sat 1 and sat 2 with a 2 or 3 walls in between on both.

2.4 is on auto, and 5 is set to 40.  I’ll have a fiddle with your suggestions and see what happens.

Cheers,

Jon

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@JonSina72 wrote:

Hi FURRYe38,

thanks for for your help, I’ll give the daisy chain a go.

My router is a Sky Hub router (the one that comes with Sky Q - there is no obvious rebrand on it)

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

theres approximately 30 feet between the router and satellite 1 and then 30 feet between sat 1 and sat 2 with a 2 or 3 walls in between on both.

2.4 is on auto, and 5 is set to 40.  I’ll have a fiddle with your suggestions and see what happens.

Cheers,

Jon

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7