Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR 50 loosing wifi connection (router + 2 satellites

MackB
Follower

ORBI RBR 50 loosing wifi connection (router + 2 satellites

Dec 10 2017

I purchased my ORBI RBR50 model in July 2017. It was working fine until recently when start loosing wifi connection (2 weeks ago). It works for few minutes/hours when I turn the Orbi unit off and on again. I have downloaded the latest firmware (v2.1.1.12) but the problem continues. Very frustrating that there is no longer netgear support available but hope this community could assist me in resolving my issue. Much appreciated any help, advise, comments I could get. Thanks.

MackB

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
jasonjason
Guide

Re: ORBI RBR 50 loosing wifi connection (router + 2 satellites

I'm in the same situation. My router + 2 satellites worked just fine for a year. About a week ago, we started getting massive drop outs in devices simultaneously. I updated the firmware to 2.1 and the problem is even worse. If I just use the router, my devices seem to stay connected. If I connect 1 or both satellites, devices constantly drop off every 10-30 minutes. This is really unaccepable.

Message 2 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

One of the hints mentioned on this forum was to do an NVRAM reset and after that do a factory default reset. When those two are complete, reconfigure your ORBI as you want but do it manually. DO NOT USE any saved configuation files to reconfigure your ORBI. Additionally, after the reset/reconfigure DO NOT USE the built-in Speedtest on the QOS setup page. Apparently, that test mode is causing some users to have slow-downs and other anomolies.   Having said all that, I'm not a WiFi expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely trying to help out with some potential fixes. Overall, I've been pleased with the performance of the ORBI system in my environment. There are still issues in my system too but nowhere near as many as other folks continue to report. Good luck!

Message 3 of 5
jasonjason
Guide

Thanks, I just finished doing the NVRAM reset on all 3 devices, but didn't do a factory reset following that. I'll try it after this football game is over. This is not a good situation for us cordcutters that depend on our wifi for everything.

Message 4 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

After the factory default reset be certain you manually re-configure your Orbi. Evidently stray commands in saved config/backup files can corrupt the new firmware. After you manually configure your Orbi system, I'd still make a backup config file for "just in case" ! Good Luck!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7