Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR10 can't connect 2.4GHz smart devices

msimard66
Initiate

ORBI RBR10 can't connect 2.4GHz smart devices

I have an ORBI mesh RBR10. I also have 3 smart devices that can only be set up through a 2.4GHz wireless connection. I searched the Internet and, as many suggested, I went on 192.168.1.1/debug.htm, but "Enable Telnet" is nowhere to be found. I need a simple solution (not a tech wizzard). Thanks in advance.

M.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR10 can't connect 2.4GHz smart devices

@msimard66 wrote:

I have an ORBI mesh RBR10. I also have 3 smart devices that can only be set up through a 2.4GHz wireless connection. I searched the Internet and, as many suggested, I went on 192.168.1.1/debug.htm, but "Enable Telnet" is nowhere to be found. I need a simple solution (not a tech wizzard). Thanks in advance.

This situation has frustrated customers for several years.  It is important to realize that often the admonition "requires 2.4G WiFi" is merely a statement of fact.  If there is no 2.4G WiFi, the device cannot connect because it has only a 2.4G radio chip.  That is similar to a flashlight saying "requires 2 C batteries."  If there are only AA and D cells, the flashlight cannot work.  Orbi does provide a 2.4 WiFi signal.

Most of the time, the smartphone app will succeed in connecting the device.  It is important to proceed with the smartphone app, ignoring warnings "requires 2.4G WiFi" until something actually fails.  I have connected numerous brands of smart plugs, light bulbs, security cameras, etc. that had the same warning, but function perfectly.

In the rate case that the smartphone app itself is poorly written, the fault is not in the Orbi, but in the actual app.  The app recognizes that the phone is connected at 2.4G and refuses to continue.  (The app refuses, not the device.)  In that case, many users have been successful by following this procedure:

• Open the Orbi web interface.
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab.
  • Select Advanced Setup
  • Select Wireless Setup
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" on the 5G channel.
  • On the smartphone, "Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
  • Scan the list of WiFi systems, select the Orbi SSID, and connect.
  • Since the Orbi is broadcasting only the 2.4G channel, it will connect at 2.4G.
  • Open the smartphone app and connect the device.
  • Once the device is working, reverse the steps.

It would be useful to know the brand and model of these devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@msimard66 wrote:

This situation has frustrated customers for several years.  It is important to realize that often the admonition "requires 2.4G WiFi" is merely a statement of fact.  If there is no 2.4G WiFi, the device cannot connect because it has only a 2.4G radio chip.  That is similar to a flashlight saying "requires 2 C batteries."  If there are only AA and D cells, the flashlight cannot work.  Orbi does provide a 2.4 WiFi signal.

Most of the time, the smartphone app will succeed in connecting the device.  It is important to proceed with the smartphone app, ignoring warnings "requires 2.4G WiFi" until something actually fails.  I have connected numerous brands of smart plugs, light bulbs, security cameras, etc. that had the same warning, but function perfectly.

In the rate case that the smartphone app itself is poorly written, the fault is not in the Orbi, but in the actual app.  The app recognizes that the phone is connected at 2.4G and refuses to continue.  (The app refuses, not the device.)  In that case, many users have been successful by following this procedure:

• Open the Orbi web interface.
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab.
  • Select Advanced Setup
  • Select Wireless Setup
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" on the 5G channel.
  • On the smartphone, "Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
  • Scan the list of WiFi systems, select the Orbi SSID, and connect.
  • Since the Orbi is broadcasting only the 2.4G channel, it will connect at 2.4G.
  • Open the smartphone app and connect the device.
  • Once the device is working, reverse the steps.

It would be useful to know the brand and model of these devices.

Message 2 of 4
msimard66
Initiate

Thank you so much. It works perfectly now.

The decices are 3 Smart Wi-Fi Dimmers from Feit Electric: https://www.feit.com/product/smart-wi-fi-dimmer/ 

Many thanks.

Best regards,

M.

Message 3 of 4
ChrisR-WI
Aspirant

This worked perfectly, and makes total sense. Easy solution also, which is key. Much appreciated.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7