Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR20 ethernet 'out' to Netgear switch no internet signal

JasonHellyeah
Aspirant

ORBI RBR20 ethernet 'out' to Netgear switch no internet signal

Hi.

I have a new ORBI RBR20 tri band wifi router which for wifi purposes is working very well however I have no internet connection (signal) when hard wiring devices via the ethernet 'out' connection.

I have new CAT9 cables and I've tried a couple of devices but none receive any internet signal.

Ideally I'd like to hard wire a Netgear GS908E switch via the ORBI RBR20 ethernet 'out'.

Can anyone provide a fix / answer?

Thank you in advance.

Jason.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR20 ethernet 'out' to Netgear switch no internet signal

CAT 9 ? Seriously, you got screwed ... there is no such thing ... even CAT8 and CAT8a (both 2 GHz capable) are not widely available and used yet.

Pease check if other Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet devices can link up with the GS908E and the LED indicate link and speed as shown in the fine 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch Model GS908E User Manual on p.8.

Is this a brand new GS908E or was it configured e.g. with a VLAN config before? Consider a factory reset.

@JasonHellyeah wrote:

Ideally I'd like to hard wire a Netgear GS908E switch via the ORBI RBR20 ethernet 'out'.

This should be feasible, starting from CAT 5e cables already. However, I fear having spotted similar posts where Netgear customers are struggling to connect some switches to some Orbi models ... Ethernet links are not negotiating why ever. 

@Christian_R one for your attention! 

Message 2 of 6
JasonHellyeah
Aspirant

@schumaku thank you for your reply.

CAT9!

We'll that obviously gives away my knowledge in this space - not much.

Thank you for the reply. I'll try the suggestion to see if it works. I hope it does as I bought both devices under the impression they'd operate well together.

Regards Jason.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The only thing the test can help is to check if the switch is in a working condition, and the ports are in a working condition. So please check all.

I guess the LED (behind, under the cover, along with each RJ45 port) does not come up at all when connected to the RBR20. 

Message 4 of 6

Thank you for the reply. I'll try the suggestion to see if it works. I hope it does as I bought both devices under the impression they'd operate well together.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If this is a managed switch, disable ALL IGMP protocols, Monitoring, loopback and Green Ethernet on this switch. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-ethernet-backhaul-is-not-working-help/m-p/1945717#M...

Also swap this switch out and try a non managed switch to see if problem continues or not. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7