Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR20 please help

Codybuts
Aspirant

ORBI RBR20 please help

hi recently upgraded my internet from 120 mbps to 1gb, they come and upgraded my modem and now im having issues with the orbi kicking my modem offline and no devices working

hitron  CODA-4589 is my modem

and the orbi rbr20.

even with 0 sattelites running it is kicking my modem offline. unable to bridge the modem as it uses my tivo tv services i guess, but it was never bridged before i upgraded anyways.

multiple hours on the phone with no proper english help...

this is my last resort before i sell it and go get a google home or something.. i am fed up.. also getting under 100 mbps before and after upgrade, they want to send a replacement router but i dont see it the issue.. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 85

Accepted Solutions
Codybuts
Aspirant

Re: ORBI RBR20 please help

I am going to accept the solution that it was the ISP modem all along..even after swapping out the hitron coda 4589 did just not want to keep my orbi online.
With my new Arris modem I have been staying online !

Just having slight issues with orbi speeds I will open a new thread and thanks for everyone who assisted and listened to me in this topic

View solution in original post

Message 85 of 85

All Replies
Codybuts
Aspirant

i have also disabled wifi on the hitron modem and that didnt work, also tried orbi in AP mode and that didnt work
Latest firmware and already did a reinstall of the router with tech support
Message 2 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

It will work fine for a bit and then disconnect or drop my internet until I reboot the hitron modem
Message 3 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi.

http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/coda-4589/

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

I recommend you try option #2, if this doesn't work well, try option #3. 

Message 4 of 85
heathweather
Guide

Definitely try #3 - using the Orbi in AP mode.  Make sure the firmware is current, do a reset on the satellite and orbi router.  As @FURRYe38 noted, if you've got dueling DHCP servers, routers connected to routers in router mode, that could cause a lot of issues. 

Message 5 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

Hi I've already disabled the wifi on the modem, the 2.4 and 5g lights are off.
Firmware is up to date.
I stated I have tried ap mode and tried bridging it but it automatically keeps gateway option on because of my tv service.

The only part I don't understand is
"configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode."

Could you give me instructions on this please ? I'm ready to give up
Message 6 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

I have tried setting the Orbi as an Access Point and the problem remains. After a period of time, as long as 6 hours, devices connected to the Orbi lose internet, and I have to reboot the modem to get it back.
Message 7 of 85
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

not our groups product but let me give few pointers..

1. What is the DHCP range for the Hitron vs Orbi?  Make sure they are ON DIFFERENT ranges. Orbi has feature to change it but make sure they are actually different since your have Double NAT

2. Make sure Radio is ACTUALLY OFF. Lot of ISP modems tell you it is OFF but in the background they have their hotspot running. When you have 2 radios transmitting and so close, it will cause interference.

3. I believe if you have TiVO (who uses them now a days! Get Netflix, Hulu, HBO stream or Prime Video ) ISP will force you to have CODA in NAT mode Only. Not much you can do if they force you. But if you see a Bridge or NAT-Off option, try using TiVO in Bridge mode along with Orbi.

4. Increase distance between Orbi and Hitron CODA (instead of 1 ft, make it 3-5 ft with longer ethernet Cable)

Message 8 of 85
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

do post multiple screenshots of Orbi and Hitron CODA settings in imgur.com and provide links here.

Message 9 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the reply.
DHCP .. is this just up address of each modem and orbi? If so all ips on modem access page and orbilogin seem different or off by a number .

Radio as in 2.4 and 5g on my modem off? If so yes..the lights are also off

I use tivo and Netflix all of it I have kids 😝. Bridge mode unable because of the TiVo service.. I didn't bridge before upgrading modem..new modem from upgrading to 1g now I have issues

Great distance orbi was hardwired to modem upstairs modem downstairs
Message 10 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try the RBR in AP mode with the ISP modem in router mode? 

Message 11 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

I have tried this yes it's now in AP mode
Message 12 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Ensure Beamforming and WMM is enabled. Under

Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Try MIMO enabled first if you any MIMO supporting devices. If not, you can disable this.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 13 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

Thanks for response.. i think I will try a factory reset on the orbi one more time .. should I pin reset both satellites and the router ? Will I be ok using the same ssid and PW so my devices reconnect
Message 14 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use the pin in back, 15 seconds press then let go. 

Yes you can still use same custom SSID name and PW. 

After resetting the RBS and RBR. You might try not adding the RBS just yet, I would setup the RBR first alone and check out the access for a while. Then maybe add just one RBS. 

Ensure the distance between the RBS and RBS is 30 feet to start with...

Message 15 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

Thanks kind of already having issues.
My ISP modem is going offline right after, was also having connectivity wifi issues during setup. Set up one satellite and it was.blue on top.. in orbi app was showing red poor connection though
Message 16 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

1050 sq ft bungalow.

Router front of house corner where cable comes in.

Satellite 1 bedroom upstairs opposite side of house .

Sat 2 goes in garage which would connect.to satellite 1.

Speed test beside router is 450 over wifi... Should it be higher with 1g internet?
Message 17 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

This should cover my whole house and garage
Message 18 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

My orbi keeps dropping to 30 Mbps when I'm sitting beside the router..one second it's fine the next it's not..no satellites plugged in

Edit: now I'm offline..wifi shows full bars but my modem and router both drop connection
Message 19 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

All I have right now is the orbi router plugged in..it seems huge inconsistent speeds.. PC a second ago was 1gb now 300 ..what do I do from here..it was fine ? Then not fine
Message 20 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you connect your PC at the ISP modem are you getting consistent speeds here? 

Wired PC speeds at the RBR in AP modem are not consistent? 

Wondering if your Orbi system could be faulty here. 

Message 21 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

It drops my modem connection aswell
Message 22 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

The PC or the RBR in AP mode? 

Swap LAN cable between the RBR and ISP Modem? 

Try this: Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 23 of 85
Codybuts
Aspirant

The orbi is in ap mode
Message 24 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the PC dropping connect with the modem or is the RBR dropping the connection with the modem? 

Message 25 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7