Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR20 won't daisy-chain wirelessly

quidnunc
Initiate

ORBI RBR20 won't daisy-chain wirelessly

I have a new Orbi RBR20 router with 2 satellites.
As we have a long thin house, I wanted to set up a daisy-chain:  Router to Satellite 1 to Satellite 2.
But currently the network is a star system - Router to Satellite 1; Router to Satellite 2 (which I do not want).  Satellite 2 has a "poor" link to the Router.
How can I change/force Satellite 2 to wirelessly daisy-chain off Satellite 1, and thuis get a better signal for devices connected to Satellite 2?
Netgear Support says I have to link the satellites by cable, but that defeats the reason I bought the Orbi system in the first place.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR20 won't daisy-chain wirelessly

Ya, someone you talked to wasn't fully up to date or got sided tracked. 

Glad the power ON process worked. Please mark your post thread as solved so other will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

IF Dasiy chain is enabled on the RBR, powering on the 2nd RBS after the 1st RBS is already connected should connect the 2nd RBS to the 1st one...

Message 2 of 4
quidnunc
Initiate

Yes, that worked by unplugging the power lead then plugging it back in, rather than just using the SYNC button.

The network setup seems to be very sequentially oriented:

Everything off.  Then power router on, and wait ........   Then power Satellite 1 on and wait ...... Finally power Satellite 2 on and wait ......

Thanks for the help. 

Had just spent almost an hour on the phone to Netgear support, who were adamant that I had to put a cable between the two satellites.  And that was despite me telling them that the Netgear web site clearly showed that daisy-chaining was now an option, over the star setup.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, someone you talked to wasn't fully up to date or got sided tracked. 

Glad the power ON process worked. Please mark your post thread as solved so other will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7