Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR40 Intermittent disconnect

ajagenx
Tutor

ORBI RBR40 Intermittent disconnect

Help!  After 2 years of zero issues my RBR40 router with plugin mesh orbi is having horrible intermittent connectivity issues.  Called internet service provider and no issues detected on their end.  Firmware V2.6.2.104  Have rebooted several times, factory reset.  Connection between modem and router are fine.  I don't know what else to do.  When I loose connectivity my orbi app shows connected except for 1 time when router had a red X.  Not tech savy but I'm trying.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR40 Intermittent disconnect

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 6
ajagenx
Tutor

Thank you for replying!  I have a Spectrum modem and I believe it's model is either E31u2v1 or PC15.  There is not much identification anywhere on the modem and other info besides FCC and S/N etc.

The modem/router are about 30ft. and 1 floor away from satellite.  Think rectangle ranch house 1800 sq ft.  modem/router in basement on far retangle side.  mid way in basement are steps and top of landing is the satellite (has always been in that location).

There are about 2 other neighbor wifi visiable and nothing seems changed there.

Your list of disabled I could only find in the user manual about Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.  All of which are not even listed as something to enable / disable when following the user manual while logged on to my account.  So nothing there to disable.

ok here is where I'm lost.  The channels.  it was set to Auto for 2.4G and 48 for 5G.  What does these mean?  I see them in the app but nothing in the user manual.  So just change my 2.4g to one of the channels you suggested?  

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@ajagenx wrote:

Thank you for replying!  I have a Spectrum modem and I believe it's model is either E31u2v1 or PC15.  There is not much identification anywhere on the modem and other info besides FCC and S/N etc.

The modem/router are about 30ft. and 1 floor away from satellite.  Think rectangle ranch house 1800 sq ft.  modem/router in basement on far retangle side.  mid way in basement are steps and top of landing is the satellite (has always been in that location).

FYI, basements are not recommended places for wifi source devices like the RBR. Concrete and steell will inhibit signal travel. 

There are about 2 other neighbor wifi visiable and nothing seems changed there.

Your list of disabled I could only find in the user manual about Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.  All of which are not even listed as something to enable / disable when following the user manual while logged on to my account.  So nothing there to disable.

Check the RBRs web page for advanced features and settings using a web browser. 

ok here is where I'm lost.  The channels.  it was set to Auto for 2.4G and 48 for 5G.  What does these mean?  I see them in the app but nothing in the user manual.  So just change my 2.4g to one of the channels you suggested?  Check the RBRs web page for advanced features and settings using a web browser. 

Does the RBRs top ring LED appear when you see this intermittent disconnect? 

Message 4 of 6
ajagenx
Tutor

Morning-  I still have not executed all the steps you suggested.  However while working on them I noticed the satellite showed a frimware update due so I executed that.  The app only shows firmware updates on the router so when logged via desktop it displayed both devices.  I have had zero issues since.  First time in about 3 weeks.  If it starts again I will go back to finish executing your list.  i appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7