Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR40 Not Connecting to new Modem

Huntzman
Guide

Re-Connected !!! Finally. 

I'm getting the impression that a setting is off in either the Modem or the ORBI that get's screwed up when the power goes out and the modem re-boots. Perhaps the ORBI is looking for an address that got changed ? I don't know. Any ideas on how to prevent this going forward will be greatly appreciated. 

Message 26 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

I would set up a IP address reservation ON the modem/router for the Orbi router. This should help keep the same IP address for the Orbi system from the modem. Also this can be input in to the modems DMZ. I would try this.

Ya, seems like something is not keeping persistent connection thru a power cycle.

Message 27 of 44
st_shaw
Master

@Huntzman wrote:

Re-Connected !!! Finally. 

I'm getting the impression that a setting is off in either the Modem or the ORBI that get's screwed up when the power goes out and the modem re-boots. Perhaps the ORBI is looking for an address that got changed ? I don't know. Any ideas on how to prevent this going forward will be greatly appreciated. 

It sounds like maybe your wifii devices are connecting to the Zhone gateway when the power goes out.  That would block them from reaching Orbi.  Did you log into the Zhone and disable wireless? You really need to do that.

Message 28 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Unreal......... got everything working and running smoothly, and now I can barely connect to the internet. Have no idea what the hell is going on with this new modem and the ORBI connection. Was literally working fine, and then it was like dialup.

Message 29 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Unreal......... got everything working and running smoothly, and now I can barely connect to the internet. Have no idea what the hell is going on with this new modem and the ORBI connection. Was literally working fine, and then it was like dialup.

Message 30 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the ORbi router connected to the ISP modem? Set up a IP addresss reservation and use DMZ? 

Connect a wired PC to the ISP modem and check speeds there to compare. 

Message 31 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

It's connected to the Modem via LAN port. I'm trying to access the modem to setup the reservation, but I can't seem to access it.

Message 32 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Okay, so here is where I am at. After wasting a **bleep** load of time on the phone with my ISP's tech support, including getting hung up on by a Tech who was clueless, they have no idea how to 'reserve' an IP address and kicked the can to Netgear, saying this could be done through the ORBI. Before I go screwing around in settings, because I don't want to screw things up even worse, here is a look at the Zhone Modem LAN setup, can it be done through this and if yes, how ?

Message 33 of 44
st_shaw
Master

Yes, you can reserve an address by clicking "Add Entries" under Static IP Lease on the page you showed.  But... forget about that and forget about the DMZ. The Zhone appears not to have a DMZ feature nor a bridge mode.

Just disable wireless on the Zhone under Wireless, Basic.  Then plug the Yellow Internet port on Orbi into a LAN port on the Zhone.  Log into Orbi.  Switch Orbi to Access Point mode.

Message 34 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

I'm going to try that tomorrow st_shaw - I already put away the cable and my brain is toast right now. I'm pissed about not being able to game tonight and vent my rage *LOL*

It's killing me that I had zero issues before, and now nothing but........

Right now I have the Orbi (yellow port) wired into the LAN1 port, so tomorrow I will disable the wireless setting on the Zhone and see if that corrects things. 

Message 35 of 44
st_shaw
Master

@Huntzman wrote:

I'm going to try that tomorrow st_shaw - I already put away the cable and my brain is toast right now. I'm pissed about not being able to game tonight and vent my rage *LOL*

It's killing me that I had zero issues before, and now nothing but........

Right now I have the Orbi (yellow port) wired into the LAN1 port, so tomorrow I will disable the wireless setting on the Zhone and see if that corrects things. 

Sounds good.  After disabling wireless on the Zhone make sure you log into the Orbi interface and switch from Router mode to Access Point mode. It's under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode.

Message 36 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

So this morning I was able to access the Zhone Modem page and disbale the wifi signal. That seemed to clear up some issues and I was able to get a connection on my PS4. But I have been unable to access the ORBI page to check to see if it is setup as AP. Everytime I try to log in it won't allow me to.

Message 37 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you log in to the Orbi with a wired PC connected to the back of the router?

@Huntzman wrote:

So this morning I was able to access the Zhone Modem page and disbale the wifi signal. That seemed to clear up some issues and I was able to get a connection on my PS4. But I have been unable to access the ORBI page to check to see if it is setup as AP. Everytime I try to log in it won't allow me to.

Message 38 of 44
st_shaw
Master

@Huntzman wrote:

You will not be able to log into Orbi from any device connected to the Zhone, until you switch Orbi to Access Point mode. This is one reason you need to switch it to Access Point mode.

Wire a device to one of the LAN ports on the back of the Orbi "router."  Then open a web broswer and log into http://orbilogin.com or http://10.0.0.1. You will need to log into Orbi using the administrator credentials.  The defaults are admin/password.  You might have changed the password at initial setup.

Message 39 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Okay, I am in and it is setup as router. How do I swap it to AP ?

Message 40 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Go to Advanced tab/Advanced settings/Router and AP mode.

. You'll see two options there, Router and AP modes. Select AP mode.

Message 41 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Okay, so disabeling the WiFi on the modem and setting the Orbi to AP seems to have done the trick !! Had several comps running last night and a gaming system and no apparent issues !!!! 

Thank you so much to Furrye38 and St_Shaw for all the help !!!

Message 42 of 44
st_shaw
Master

Good to hear you got it working!

Message 43 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, finally, glad it's working.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Huntzman wrote:

Okay, so disabeling the WiFi on the modem and setting the Orbi to AP seems to have done the trick !! Had several comps running last night and a gaming system and no apparent issues !!!! 

Thank you so much to Furrye38 and St_Shaw for all the help !!!

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7