Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR40 Router

flucasjr
Follower

ORBI RBR40 Router

I am an 80 yoa NON tech man who has excellent wifi service using an ORBI Mini Router RBR40 w/sat.. My internet service is provided by Spectrum.  I recently oredered a wifi security camera system that would not connect to my system.  The camera company said my wifi was 5ghz and needed to be 2.4 and to contact my internet provider. Well Spectrum said we provid your modum, your wifi comes from your router. How do I change my roter from 5 to 2.4? And does this rduce the speed of my internet service?  Any help for a NON tec person?  

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR40 Router

@flucasjr wrote:

I am an 80 yoa NON tech man who has excellent wifi service using an ORBI Mini Router RBR40 w/sat.. My internet service is provided by Spectrum.  I recently oredered a wifi security camera system that would not connect to my system.  The camera company said my wifi was 5ghz and needed to be 2.4 and to contact my internet provider. Well Spectrum said we provid your modum, your wifi comes from your router. How do I change my roter from 5 to 2.4? And does this rduce the speed of my internet service?  Any help for a NON tec person?  

Would help to know the brand and model of camera.  Every WiFi security camera I have tested works by generating a QR code on the smartphone app and pointing the camera at it.  Camera reads the WiFi name and password and connects.  The company is correct only to the extent that there must be a 2.4G WiFi network because the camera has only a 2.4G WiFi radio in it. There can be additional WiFi networks, such as 5G, 6G, and 6E, but the camera cannot connect to them because it does not have a radio that can talk to them.

If by some odd chance there was no 2.4G WiFi network, then the camera cannot work.  An example is packaging that says, "Requires (2) AA Batteries."  Does that mean you cannot own any C or D cell batteries?  Of course not.  What it means is if you have NO AA batteries, this thing cannot work.

There is a good chance that someone has already connected a camera like yours and will have a solution.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7