Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR40 and Direct TV STREAMING

videoscenes
Aspirant

ORBI RBR40 and Direct TV STREAMING

Hey There ;

I own the ORBI RBR40 with 2 satellites. ATT UVERSE GATEWAY, DIRECT TV (Genie)

My only issue is when attempting to stream with Direct TV (channel 1000) or selecting a streaming program from menu, It acts normal and I get the downloading bar. it completes and begins the program. Then it will disconnect giving me the "reconnect internet" on the direct TV screen. if I reconnect the issue just repeats. If I select "do not reconnect now"...the program plays for a bit, then freezes. ATT tech came over and directly connected the Direct TV DVR system to internet, so the DVR is now receiving a direct internet signal. I believe he used "MOCA" to do this. So, theoretically, the DVR is receiving a hardwired internet signal. NOT WIRELESS. The problem STILL persists. The Gateway is in "bridge mode" per ATT recommendations, so the ORBI RBR40 is providing "router" service. The Gateway is only acting as a MODEM, the way I understand it, and the ORBI RBR40 fullfills all other handling. Nothing else is affected. I can stream from any other service fine. The only issue is when I try to stream using the DTV service. The tech from ATT thought maybe some setting in the ORBI was not allowing the DTV service to "play nice". Any suggestions???

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Dave

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR40 and Direct TV STREAMING

Usually ATT modems or gateways don't fully support bridge mode or modem only mode. 

You may want to try the gateway back in router mode and use the modems DMZ for the Orbi in router mode. Or keep the gateway in router mode and configure the Orbi for AP mode...

1. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
2. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@videoscenes wrote:

ATT tech came over and directly connected the Direct TV DVR system to internet, so the DVR is now receiving a direct internet signal. I believe he used "MOCA" to do this. So, theoretically, the DVR is receiving a hardwired internet signal. NOT WIRELESS. The problem STILL persists.

Not having Direct TV, perhaps you could explain what the DVR is streaming to?  i.e. a television that is cabled to the DVR?  Something else (like a PC)?

Are the Direct TV DVR and the television connected to the same coax cable?

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if there is any progress on this...

@videoscenes wrote:

Hey There ;

I own the ORBI RBR40 with 2 satellites. ATT UVERSE GATEWAY, DIRECT TV (Genie)

My only issue is when attempting to stream with Direct TV (channel 1000) or selecting a streaming program from menu, It acts normal and I get the downloading bar. it completes and begins the program. Then it will disconnect giving me the "reconnect internet" on the direct TV screen. if I reconnect the issue just repeats. If I select "do not reconnect now"...the program plays for a bit, then freezes. ATT tech came over and directly connected the Direct TV DVR system to internet, so the DVR is now receiving a direct internet signal. I believe he used "MOCA" to do this. So, theoretically, the DVR is receiving a hardwired internet signal. NOT WIRELESS. The problem STILL persists. The Gateway is in "bridge mode" per ATT recommendations, so the ORBI RBR40 is providing "router" service. The Gateway is only acting as a MODEM, the way I understand it, and the ORBI RBR40 fullfills all other handling. Nothing else is affected. I can stream from any other service fine. The only issue is when I try to stream using the DTV service. The tech from ATT thought maybe some setting in the ORBI was not allowing the DTV service to "play nice". Any suggestions???

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Dave

Message 4 of 7
videoscenes
Aspirant

Hey there....

All connected to same cable. The main DVR is connected to internet via hardwire. Streaming is over internet from DTV servers. Internet is fed to home via fibre optics and to the ATT modem via bridge mode. Orbi gets fed signal from ”ATT modem in bridge mode. So....ATT MODEM is used as Gate to internet and nothing else. Orbi takes care of routing and feeding appliances. Streaming seems to have some kind of ”invisible link” or proprietary dependence on ATT modem hardware or software. Doesn't seem to wanna play nice and let orbi do the routing. Keeps dropping internet connection. At least that's what software on TV reports. I don't think it's REALLY dropping signal. I think the streaming signal is expecting something it's not getting via the Orbi.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you put the IP address for the DVR into the Orbis DMZ? 

@videoscenes wrote:

Hey there....

All connected to same cable. The main DVR is connected to internet via hardwire. Streaming is over internet from DTV servers. Internet is fed to home via fibre optics and to the ATT modem via bridge mode. Orbi gets fed signal from ”ATT modem in bridge mode. So....ATT MODEM is used as Gate to internet and nothing else. Orbi takes care of routing and feeding appliances. Streaming seems to have some kind of ”invisible link” or proprietary dependence on ATT modem hardware or software. Doesn't seem to wanna play nice and let orbi do the routing. Keeps dropping internet connection. At least that's what software on TV reports. I don't think it's REALLY dropping signal. I think the streaming signal is expecting something it's not getting via the Orbi.

Message 6 of 7
GoonieFan
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue, where I have intermittent freezing on Direct Tv every minute or so. It seems the ORBI and Direct Tv are not getting along. Does anyone have a solution for this?
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7