Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR40 connects to VPN but not remote desktop

jclark0108
Star

ORBI RBR40 connects to VPN but not remote desktop

I am having an issue where my ORBI router connects to my VPN but not my remote desktop.  Any ideas how to fix this?  I have a RBR40 - which was purchasd from Target or Walmart.  I read that it could be a port that is closed and needs to be opened.  Can someone help me with - and explain it in a elementary way.  IT is not by strength 🙂 

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

More information will help.  There are two computers. One is trying to access the Remote Desktop on the other.  Which computer is on the Orbi LAN (Local Area Network) and which computer is on the WAN (Wide Area Network) side, i.e. "somewhere else"?

Message 2 of 5
jclark0108
Star

Sorry for the delay. My set up is very basic - I have a laptop that is connected to my WIFI through my ORBI router.  I can connect to my VPN.  However, I can not connect to my remote control desktop (which requires the VPN connection).  

Hope this answers your question.  Again - not realy techy.  

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a good start.  A laptop connected to the Orbi wants to open a Remote Desktop to a computer that is "somewhere else" (not also on the Orbi LAN), correct?

In that case, no ports need to be opened on the Orbi.  There should be VPN client software on the laptop that connects to the remote VPN server where the other computer is.  When the laptop connected to the Orbi opens a connection, that automatically establishes the ports that are needed.

My guess is the issue is at the remote VPN end.  Are you able to make this work from a different location, such as a friend's house or a public WiFi (Starbucks, etc.)?

Message 4 of 5
jclark0108
Star

So oddly, the only place I have issues connecting to the Remote Desktop through my laptop and VPN is on my home network.  Everything works fine at local libraries, Starbucks, Paneras, etc.  Again - connects to my VPN at home - just can't get to the Remote Desktop.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7