Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR40 set a separate ssid for 5GHz not working

kevinwilde
Aspirant

ORBI RBR40 set a separate ssid for 5GHz not working

I need a separate 2.4 GHz wifi for my cameras which will only connect to this band.
I used the method suggested elsewhere to telnet and change the 5GHz ssid, I rechecked with a telnet get and it shows the separate ssid, but when I re-boot the RBR40 and look in advanced Router AP mode they both have the same ssid, and there is no other wifi visible other than the base ssid, looks like telnet changed the ssid for the 5GHz but the orbi isn't reading it at boot up time to separate the channels.
The Orbi was only just delivered yesterday, and it updated to the latest firmware, and I certainly didn't expect to have to get into Techie mode just to change an ssid.

Any ideas would be greatfully received as without this the very expensive solution is useless for me.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

This question comes up a lot.  When a product contains only a 2.4G radio, it can discover and connect only to 2.4G WiFi channels.  (It's like saying, "requires two AA batteries."  No way a 9-volt is going to power it.)  There may be numerous 5G signals around, even with the same WiFi name, but the device is unaware of them.  A 5G  channel can even have the same name.  The issue some people confront is they have products that rely on a smartphone app to set up the configuration and the smartphone app was written poorly.  I have some cameras that include an Ethernet port.  I connect them to my network by Ethernet and use a web browser to set their WiFi name and password.  Unplug the Ethernet cord, reboot, and "voila".  I have other cameras where I input the WiFi name and password into a smartphone app and then point the camera at a bar code that shows up on the screen.  "Done."

Rather than abandon much of the unique Orbi capability, how did setting up a camera fail with the Orbi in its "regular" condition?

What brand and model of WiFi camera is this?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

You said it, your cameras will only connect to the 2.4Ghz frequency. You don't have to separate the SSID on the Orbi for this. 2.4ghz devcies are not capable of connecting to the 5Ghz frequency since they don't have the HW for that. 

Have you tried turning down the 5Ghz power output on the Orbi and have both cameras and your setup mobile device connect to the 2.4ghz frequency? The problem is with the setup software on the setup mobile device is probably connected to the 5Ghz frequency and the cameras setup software is expecting the setup device to be on the 2.4Ghz frequency. Some Camera Mfrs are not testing these new MESH systems that use a signal SSID name for both frequencies with there products. 

@kevinwilde wrote:

I need a separate 2.4 GHz wifi for my cameras which will only connect to this band.
I used the method suggested elsewhere to telnet and change the 5GHz ssid, I rechecked with a telnet get and it shows the separate ssid, but when I re-boot the RBR40 and look in advanced Router AP mode they both have the same ssid, and there is no other wifi visible other than the base ssid, looks like telnet changed the ssid for the 5GHz but the orbi isn't reading it at boot up time to separate the channels.
The Orbi was only just delivered yesterday, and it updated to the latest firmware, and I certainly didn't expect to have to get into Techie mode just to change an ssid.

Any ideas would be greatfully received as without this the very expensive solution is useless for me.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7