Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 / CM1000v2 Router Connection Issues

DesertBruin
Guide

ORBI RBR50 / CM1000v2 Router Connection Issues

Having frequent issues with the above combination dropping connection from ISP, 6-7 times per day. Router shows connection, Orbi goes magenta ring.

ISP (Mediacom) has confirmed no line issues, and, naturally wants to come charge a service fee to check box connection. So before I dropped the dough, I connected directly to the modem the last time I had the issue and the modem shows a live connection. 

So issue feels like Orbi. It's been an otherwise reliable router for the last few years. But this feels like death throes? Anyone else have experience with dealing with Orbi end-of-life behavior that might reflect this kind of issue?

Firmware is up-to-date, etc.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DesertBruin
Guide

Re: ORBI RBR50 / CM1000v2 Router Connection Issues

Not on any network devices. Orbi updated firmware  a couple days ago, but this problem was already ongoing.

I'll try the factory reset and see if that makes things more stable. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
vajim
Master

how old is the orbi router?

how is the orbi router connected to the modem?

Message 2 of 11
DesertBruin
Guide

3(?) years.

About 8 inches away (the router, at least). 🙂

ETA: Sorry, read that as "how far away."

Connected by CAT5 directly to the modem.

Message 3 of 11
vajim
Master

@DesertBruin wrote:

3(?) years.

About 8 inches away (the router, at least). 🙂

OK....not really old

if you're not dealing with a double router issue (i don't think you are) perhaps perform a factory reset on the orbi.

Message 4 of 11
DesertBruin
Guide

Would that be advised everytime I had an intermittent service issue? Or a sting of issues? These seem to come in groups of days every few months. And not at consistent times.

(Spoiler alert: I think it is an intermittent service issue with Mediacom, but want to make sure I've done my due diligence on my end before I force the issue with them on a second service visit in 6 months).

ETA: And factory reset sats or just router?

Message 5 of 11
vajim
Master

@DesertBruin wrote:

Would that be advised everytime I had an intermittent service issue? Or a sting of issues? These seem to come in groups of days every few months. And not at consistent times.

(Spoiler alert: I think it is an intermittent service issue with Mediacom, but want to make sure I've done my due diligence on my end before I force the issue with them on a second service visit in 6 months).

unless you've made some sort of change(s) to your network, it's hard to say.

Any recent firmware updates?  Those sometimes can cause havoc on a network

Message 6 of 11
vajim
Master

@DesertBruin wrote:

ETA: And factory reset sats or just router?

ALL

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 7 of 11
DesertBruin
Guide

Not on any network devices. Orbi updated firmware  a couple days ago, but this problem was already ongoing.

Message 8 of 11
vajim
Master

@DesertBruin wrote:

How did Orbi update the firmware?

Message 9 of 11
DesertBruin
Guide

Originally just through the web interface (automatically). But I did the factory reset and did setup through the phone. So far so good. Thanks!
Message 10 of 11
vajim
Master

@DesertBruin wrote:
Originally just through the web interface (automatically). But I did the factory reset and did setup through the phone. So far so good. Thanks!

FYY....the web interface update is not considered automatically. It was a suggestion were you had to make a decision.   You didn't have to update.   If the factory reset only works for awhile and then the problem returns you may want to roll your firmware back 

im glad it's working now. Nice work 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7