Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 Dropping Connection - Firmware 2.2.1.210

jlhill
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 Dropping Connection - Firmware 2.2.1.210

Our ORBI is dropping the internet connection at least daily it seems to be a common problem from the posts - anything that definitely works? Our house is 2700 sq feet. The satellite is about 30 feet away. The satellite is not the issue. The internet provider can see the drops so it isn’t an issue for the ISP it is the ORBI.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 Dropping Connection - Firmware 2.2.1.210

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Does the ISP notice any issues at the modem?

Are the drops both wired and wirelsss connected devices? 

What devices do you have connected to the Orbi system? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 11
jlhill
Aspirant

FW 2.2.1.210

ISP Modem - ZHONE - model # znid-gpon-2402-na

The ISP noticed no issues with the modem but the were able to see the drops from the router.

We rarely use it wired so all issues have been noticed wirelessly.

Connected devices include - iPhones, iPads, Kindles, printer, TV, Roomba, Alexa

Channel being used was Auto - I have changed this to 6 as suggested to see if we see a difference

Yes for WiFi neighbors - there are 8 houses on our street and all would be WiFi 

I have disabled the suggested settings and will see if that makes a difference.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try to test wired connetions as well next time.

What channesl are your neigbors using? 

Message 4 of 11
madcar86
Initiate

I too have noticed the Orbi drops the internet (both wifi and wired) at least once a day since the 2.2.1.210 update. I have confirmed it is not the ISP modem. The only trick i have found to get it to reconnect, besides waiting 10+mins, is to go into the router and hit the test button under the Internet setup. Not sure if it actually helping but it seems to get the Orbi to reengage the modem. 

The weird thing is that under Internet Status it is GOOD, even when the rest of the house doesnt have internet. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

How was the FW updated? Via autoupdate? Has the system been powered OFF along with the modem for 1 minute then back on? 

@madcar86 wrote:

I too have noticed the Orbi drops the internet (both wifi and wired) at least once a day since the 2.2.1.210 update. I have confirmed it is not the ISP modem. The only trick i have found to get it to reconnect, besides waiting 10+mins, is to go into the router and hit the test button under the Internet setup. Not sure if it actually helping but it seems to get the Orbi to reengage the modem. 

The weird thing is that under Internet Status it is GOOD, even when the rest of the house doesnt have internet. 

Message 6 of 11
Deavert
Initiate

I had the same issue since installing 2.2.1.210. I found the fix for me was to disable Circle, even though it is one of the primary reasons I chose the Orbi. I have not had a drop since disabling it and it’s been over a month now.

This is the only change I made to get it working, and I have MIMO, Beamforming, and fast roaming enabled.
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have reported the Circle seems to cause problems. 

Have you tired manually loading v210 FW on the router and factory reset and setup the router from scratch, then enable circle and see if the problem still happens? 

@Deavert wrote:
I had the same issue since installing 2.2.1.210. I found the fix for me was to disable Circle, even though it is one of the primary reasons I chose the Orbi. I have not had a drop since disabling it and it’s been over a month now.

This is the only change I made to get it working, and I have MIMO, Beamforming, and fast roaming enabled.

Message 8 of 11
Deavert
Initiate

I have not tried that. Has that been documented as a reliable solution? Or any link where that has been discussed as tried and working?
Thanks!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Deavert wrote:
I have not tried that. Has that been documented as a reliable solution? Or any link where that has been discussed as tried and working?
Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
MrSoloDoeLow
Initiate

I have a RBR50 and 2 RBS50 satellites. All are on firmware V2.2.1.210.

The system was constantly dropping connections throughout the day. I was also randomly receiving SSL/certificate warnings when visiting websites from my PC and Android phone.

Yesterday, I logged onto my RBR50's web interface, went to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings > Changed my 2.4 ghz power settings from 100% to 75% AND enabled Fast Roaming.

I have not experienced a dropped connection nor received a SSL/certificate warning since making both changes at the same time. For what it's worth, I did not do a factory reset on the router or satellites before making the changes, and my channel settings are still set to the default settings. I hope this helps someone else experiencing similar issues. If I experience dropped connections again, I will re-post.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7