Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 Speed lost after Firmware Update?!

MaguEbel
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 Speed lost after Firmware Update?!

Hey Folks,

I´m a little lost right now. We have a 100 MBIT/s internet connection here and normally in the farest corner of the property we still have at least 40-50 mbit with the ORBI-System (WLAN). But since an update of the firmware (the latest version) of the router the speed is not even half and the connection is totally unstable. Since almost simultaneously there was an firmware update of our fritzbox 7490 I don´t know what kind of changes may have caused the lost of speed and the instability of the connection. 

Does anybody has an idea?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ORBI RBR50 Speed lost after Firmware Update?!

@MaguEbel wrote:

Hey Folks,

But since an update of the firmware (the latest version) of the router the speed is not even half and the connection is totally unstable. 

Was the FW update pushed auto by NG or did you do it manually?

Message 2 of 6
MaguEbel
Aspirant

I´m regularly checking for updates over the ORBI-App...I updated when Iast checked a couple of days ago.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MaguEbel wrote:

I´m regularly checking for updates over the ORBI-App...I updated when Iast checked a couple of days ago.

Why?  Was your network working?

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Has a full factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch since last FW update?

Update FW thru the routers web page with a web browser. 

@MaguEbel wrote:

Hey Folks,

I´m a little lost right now. We have a 100 MBIT/s internet connection here and normally in the farest corner of the property we still have at least 40-50 mbit with the ORBI-System (WLAN). But since an update of the firmware (the latest version) of the router the speed is not even half and the connection is totally unstable. Since almost simultaneously there was an firmware update of our fritzbox 7490 I don´t know what kind of changes may have caused the lost of speed and the instability of the connection. 

Does anybody has an idea?

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MaguEbel wrote:

Why?  Was your network working?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7