Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 - TCP & UDP Port opening

ScottyJohn
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 - TCP & UDP Port opening

Hi,

I've been trying to get the latency of Battlefield down on my PS4 and was told by EA Games that I needed to get the ISP to open the following ports:

TCP: 3074

UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500

The ISP then told me I need to do that on my router, which I have done. But I'm not sure if I've configured it correctly as there's the option to do just TCP or UDP or TCP/UDP in one (See attached screenshot). I've gone with TCP/UDP and included all the port numbers there, which has not helped my ping at all and from a test I've done, it seems the ports are not open.

Could anyone please advise what I might be doing wrong? (I'm not super network savvy clearly, so all these things are brand new to me.)

Here is a bit more info:

- I have a static IP (based on the ISP's advice, which apparently doesn't actually help)

- Download speed on PS4 speed test: 60-120mb

- Upload Speed on PS4: 10-100mb

- PS4 NAT Type: 2

- Router is connected to a Huawei device the ISP installed

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 - TCP & UDP Port opening

Those ports would open automatically if you have uPnP enabled on the RBR if your in a single NAT condition. Opening ports doesn't work for latency. If you confiured PF rules, then you need to disable uPnP. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  Built in router here by chance? 

For PS, Type 2 will be the highest level you'll see with a wifi router behind a modem. 

Message 2 of 5
ScottyJohn
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like UPnP is enabled (Screenshot attached). So is it better to delete PF rule or keep it and disable UPnP?

The ISP router that my Orbi is connected to is:

Huawei

EchoLife HG8240T 

Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve the latency if this won't work?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP ONT already has a built in router I believe. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. uPnP could be enabled here and no PF configurations or vs versa...
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 5
fannu1
Tutor

It sounds like you may have configured your router correctly by opening the necessary ports, but there are a few other things you can try to improve your latency in Battlefield:

1. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. Check the manufacturer's website for any updates and follow the instructions for updating the firmware.

2. Connect your PS4 to the router with an Ethernet cable instead of using Wi-Fi. This can help reduce latency and improve your connection.

3. Disable any other devices on your network that may be using bandwidth, such as streaming services or downloads on other devices. This can help free up bandwidth for your PS4.

4. Check your network for any other potential sources of interference, such as other wireless networks or devices that may be causing interference. Try to move your router to a more central location in your home, away from other devices that may be causing interference.

5. Contact your ISP and ask if they have any suggestions for improving your latency. They may be able to provide additional support or offer other solutions.

I hope these tips help improve your latency in Battlefield!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7