Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 blocking outgoing IP adresses

Zsolt11
Follower

ORBI RBR50 blocking outgoing IP adresses

Hi,

maybe the question appears earlier, but I cant find out the clear answer, which is working.

I would like to block outgoing IP adresses on my Orbi router. For example I do not want to allow to reach 184.155.174.146 from my network. Could you help me sombody to set it up?

Thank you in advance

Zsolt

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 blocking outgoing IP adresses

I believe that Static Routes may be one solution to this issue.  I did only a brief search, and came across this link to how to block internet addresses on Linksys routers.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/troubleshooting/linksys-block-ip-address/ 

Most routers have similar features for Static Routes.  So, I did an experiment.

• nslookup says that the IP address for usc.edu (university in Los Angeles) are
    68.181.5.136 and
  • I navigated to the Orbi web interface Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Statiic Routes menu and created a static route for each of these IP addresses, i.e.
    Destination IP (each of those two IP's)
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1 (the Orbi)
    Metric 2 (the smallest allowed number)
  • When I open a web browser and ask for //usc.edu, it comes back "connection has timed out"
  • When I attempt to ping usc.edu, it times out.
  • When I attempt to ping each of the IP addresses, it times out

My impression is that static routes can be used to entirely block access to specific IP addresses.

Note that this applies to IPv4.  Usc.edu also has an IPv6 address.  I am not certain why none of my browsers tried to access it via IPv6.
Windows ping defaults to IPv4. (There is an option for IPv6. When I pinged usc's IPv6 address, it worked.)

I have never heard of static routes for IPv6 addresses.

For a very specific need, it appears that static routes may be a solution.  VERY  cumbersome and will not adapt to changing situations like more sophisticated Parental Control systems do.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7