Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR50 crashes constantly - kernel panic log

chris_v
Tutor

ORBI RBR50 crashes constantly - kernel panic log

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite connected (RBS50). The Router crashes every 30-120 mintues - depending on usage. It seems to fix itself after 5 minutes or so until it happens again. It's running the latest firmware (V2.3.5.30). I have the debug files during the time it happened wif someone can help.

Cheers

Chris

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
chris_v
Tutor

I haven't done the satellite reset yet but I can confirm the system is running perfectly sinceI turned circle off. I would love to have it back on though, it managed the kids access really well.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch since last FW update? 

Does the RBR crash still if you temporarily turn OFF the RBS?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 13
ekhalil
Master

How do you see it’s crashing?
Please describe what happens to Satellite and to devices when Router crashes.
How could you collect logs from a crashing Router?
Message 3 of 13
chris_v
Tutor

Hi,

To answer your questions, it is not connected to an ISP modem - sort of. The problem is not with any devices upstream as no router has any issues and we didn't have any issues previously.

I have not done a factory reset with new setup since last FW update.On futher investigation, the problem is similar to the following https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-router-randomly-disconnects-blocks-internet-for-the.... The router continuously drops out and I have discovered the same effect as in this topic - whilst all connections are dropped (wired and wireless) for 5-10 minutes, the WAN is still live and if I telnet to the router, I can ping public addresses.

I am going to turn off circle and see if this fixes the problem. It's been a great service to use but if this is the cause, has completely crippled our network and internet connection.

Message 4 of 13
chris_v
Tutor

Ekhalil, technically it's not crashing, although I thought it was and the effect was the same. In terms of logs, I just turned on logging from the debug page.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What kind of modem is the RBR connected too? 

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch. This time do not enable Circle or Armor. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@chris_v wrote:

Hi,

To answer your questions, it is not connected to an ISP modem - sort of. The problem is not with any devices upstream as no router has any issues and we didn't have any issues previously.

I have not done a factory reset with new setup since last FW update.On futher investigation, the problem is similar to the following https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-router-randomly-disconnects-blocks-internet-for-the.... The router continuously drops out and I have discovered the same effect as in this topic - whilst all connections are dropped (wired and wireless) for 5-10 minutes, the WAN is still live and if I telnet to the router, I can ping public addresses.

I am going to turn off circle and see if this fixes the problem. It's been a great service to use but if this is the cause, has completely crippled our network and internet connection.

Message 6 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@chris_v wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite connected (RBS50). The Router crashes every 30-120 mintues - depending on usage. It seems to fix itself after 5 minutes or so until it happens again. It's running the latest firmware (V2.3.5.30). I have the debug files during the time it happened wif someone can help.

Cheers

Chris

Get rid of (V2.3.5.30)

Message 7 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Do you have wireless or wired backhaul?
Message 8 of 13
ekhalil
Master

v2.3.1.60 as well as 2.3.5.30 had the same issue with Satellite connectivity. This is probably the issue you're facing. I used to do the following to get around this issue:

1. Switch off the Satellite
  2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite in questions
  3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite (if you have wired backhaul then keep the Ethernet cable to the Router connected while doing the sync) and then press the Sync button on the Router
  5. When the Satellite is added after this procedure it should behave correctly.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 13
chris_v
Tutor

I haven't done the satellite reset yet but I can confirm the system is running perfectly sinceI turned circle off. I would love to have it back on though, it managed the kids access really well.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about circle causing problems in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Let them know what you experienced. 

@chris_v wrote:

Message 11 of 13
chris_v
Tutor

Thanks FURRYe38. I have done that.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Plesse mark your post here as solved so other will know. 

Good Luck. 

@chris_v wrote:

Thanks FURRYe38. I have done that.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7