Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 experiencing "[Internet disconnected]" just in the last 1-2 weeks. Maybe recent firmware

XTerra1000
Tutor

ORBI RBR50 experiencing "[Internet disconnected]" just in the last 1-2 weeks. Maybe recent firmware

I have RBR50 and for a year had no issues. However just in the past 1-2 weeks I've seen daily disconnects where I the Wifi connection is fine but the Internet connection to the RBR50 appears to have dropped...When i check the cablemodem it appears to have a successful Internet connection which leads me to believe the issue is with the RBR50.  The past 2 weeks we've been at home running work and school apps which is an increased load compared to a normal weekday but it should not cause the router to loose its Internet connection.

I have firmware v2.5.1.8 (recently updated in the last week I believe).

When I restart the router the issue goes away and it may or may not combe back the same day but appears to be happening at least once/day right now. Just to be sure i did power cycle the cablemodem and RBR50 but the issue remains with the RBR50 losing the Internet connection only.  I checked logs and see entries like the following:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, March 31, 2020 14:06:14
[Internet connected] IP address: 67.181.130.189, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 14:06:08
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, March 31, 2020 14:05:54

Should I try to load an older version of firmware and see if the issue goes away?  Any other suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
XTerra1000
Tutor

Re: ORBI RBR50 experiencing "[Internet disconnected]" just in the last 1-2 weeks. Maybe re

Sorry for the delay but i'm back to report that disabling Circle in my router config appears to have corrected the disconnect/DNS issue that I was experiencing.  It's now been a week or so since making the change and I have had zero instances of the "[Internet disconnected] in my router logs from 4/3/2020 thru 4/8/2020

This is good news and bad.  The interesting thing is that before my last firmware upgrade, I had been running Circle with no problems.  So I'm still suspicious that something related to running v2.5.1.8 and Circle together, results in the issue.

For now, i'll go cancel my Circle subscription but if a future firmware update is released, I'll likely try re-enabling Circle and see if the issue returns.

Also, I run my router and single RBS50 about 40 ft apart (RBR50 in the garage and RBS50 on the same floor in the kitchen) since someone asked about distance between the two.

Thanks all for the quick offers/input to help and suggestion to try disabling Circle as it appears to have worked.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 22

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 experiencing "[Internet disconnected]" just in the last 1-2 weeks. Maybe re

This community forum is full of people describing "issues" since their Orbi's updated to 2.5.1.8.  This is really puzzling because some of us have been on 2.5.1.8 for a couple of months and have zero problems.

Often, a temporary solution is to power the Orbi on/off.
Others have found that opening the Orbi web interface and clicking the "Test" button at the top of the screen brings back the internet.

Some have  downloaded the firmware for 2.4.5.30 and manually loaded it on the Orbi.

I am not entirely certain how to prevent the Orbi from "updating itself" again.

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch.

Be sure to not enable Circle or Armor...Circle is causing problems for users so be aware. 

@XTerra1000 wrote:

I have RBR50 and for a year had no issues. However just in the past 1-2 weeks I've seen daily disconnects where I the Wifi connection is fine but the Internet connection to the RBR50 appears to have dropped...When i check the cablemodem it appears to have a successful Internet connection which leads me to believe the issue is with the RBR50.  The past 2 weeks we've been at home running work and school apps which is an increased load compared to a normal weekday but it should not cause the router to loose its Internet connection.

I have firmware v2.5.1.8 (recently updated in the last week I believe).

When I restart the router the issue goes away and it may or may not combe back the same day but appears to be happening at least once/day right now. Just to be sure i did power cycle the cablemodem and RBR50 but the issue remains with the RBR50 losing the Internet connection only.  I checked logs and see entries like the following:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, March 31, 2020 14:06:14
[Internet connected] IP address: 67.181.130.189, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 14:06:08
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, March 31, 2020 14:05:54

Should I try to load an older version of firmware and see if the issue goes away?  Any other suggestions?

Message 3 of 22
XTerra1000
Tutor

Thank you for the quick suggestion to do factory reset and disable Circle. The firmware version may be unrelated...I do run the Circle app however it has been enabled for a year or so.

I'll try disabling Circle first and see if I notice any difference.  If that does not help then i'll try the factory reset.  I'll report back on the outcome.

-Derek

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, keep us posted. 

@XTerra1000 wrote:

Thank you for the quick suggestion to do factory reset and disable Circle. The firmware version may be unrelated...I do run the Circle app however it has been enabled for a year or so.

I'll try disabling Circle first and see if I notice any difference.  If that does not help then i'll try the factory reset.  I'll report back on the outcome.

-Derek

Message 5 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@XTerra1000 wrote:

-Derek

here's your problem:  firmware v2.5.1.8 

Message 6 of 22
Hsrancourt
Tutor

Hi-

I am having the EXACT experience. In the same time period too. We do NOT use Circle, but use Armor. I get the attached message on the app even though my device is also still showing connected to the network. Also, when I try to access the router page on my Mac which is wired to the router, I get 500 Internal Server Error. My internet service to my modem is fine and working at 220mbps+ . Please advise.

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

@Hsrancourt wrote:

Hi-

I am having the EXACT experience. In the same time period too. We do NOT use Circle, but use Armor. I get the attached message on the app even though my device is also still showing connected to the network. Also, when I try to access the router page on my Mac which is wired to the router, I get 500 Internal Server Error. My internet service to my modem is fine and working at 220mbps+ . Please advise.

Message 8 of 22
Hsrancourt
Tutor

I was able to DISABLE Armor and force and update for Satellite. For some reason, it was losing connectivity and not able to process the upgrade automatically. Everything seems fine now. I will have to wait and see over the next few days to see if I end up having to reboot again.

My Satellite is less than 20ft from the router. The router is by an open door towards the middle of the first floor, and Satelitte is on the second floor about 5 yards further over. Its a wood construction home with nothing sitting directly between the two. Full signal at both.

Router is v2.5.1.8

Satellite is v2.5.1.2

No factory reset yet because I wanted to try the above first. That will be my next step.

Given some traffic was making through the connection even though it was appearing down, I am going to assume Armor is the problem. Which is disappointing since I have paid for a FULL year of service already.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

And confirm the FW version on the RBS is v2.5.1.8? 

@Hsrancourt wrote:

I was able to DISABLE Armor and force and update for Satellite. For some reason, it was losing connectivity and not able to process the upgrade automatically. Everything seems fine now. I will have to wait and see over the next few days to see if I end up having to reboot again.

My Satellite is less than 20ft from the router. The router is by an open door towards the middle of the first floor, and Satelitte is on the second floor about 5 yards further over. Its a wood construction home with nothing sitting directly between the two. Full signal at both.

Router is v2.5.1.8

Satellite is v2.5.1.2

No factory reset yet because I wanted to try the above first. That will be my next step.

Given some traffic was making through the connection even though it was appearing down, I am going to assume Armor is the problem. Which is disappointing since I have paid for a FULL year of service already.

Message 10 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

@XTerra1000 wrote:

-Derek

Message 11 of 22
ValleyDad
Aspirant

I'm also running v2.5.1.8.  My matching Sat is also on this version and my third Sat, RBS40V, is on v2.5.1.2.  I am having the same issue, daily disconnects. 

Tried multiple modem restarts, which "fixes" the issue. Stopped doing that and just began to restart my RBR50. That restores internet service.

I do not have security activated.  I did have Circle enabled, but I jave "disabled" the application (not removed it). I then restarted my main router.

I will reply back in 24 hours or sooner with feedback as to it's effectiveness. 

I saw post that even the new WiFi 6 Orbis are seeing this or similar problem:

URL community.netgear.com/ t5/ Orbi-AX/ RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/ m-p/ 1871558

NOTE: URL tag removed and spaces added to allow documentation

Is there any place that Netgear has where they list any open issues?  How do we know that they are even looking at this?  I'm out of warranty service and cannot open a case without incurring a fee.  However, other recent customer's may have.  

Message 12 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ValleyDad wrote:

I'm also running v2.5.1.8.  My matching Sat is also on this version and my third Sat, RBS40V, is on v2.5.1.2.  I am having the same issue, daily disconnects. 

Tried multiple modem restarts, which "fixes" the issue. Stopped doing that and just began to restart my RBR50. That restores internet service.

I do not have security activated.  I did have Circle enabled, but I jave "disabled" the application (not removed it). I then restarted my main router.

URL community.netgear.com/ t5/ Orbi-AX/ RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/ m-p/ 1871558

Is there any place that Netgear has where they list any open issues?  How do we know that they are even looking at this?  I'm out of warranty service and cannot open a case without incurring a fee.  However, other recent customer's may have.  

your best bet is to get rid of v2.5.1.8

Message 13 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@ValleyDad wrote:

Could you please comment on how long this Orbi was running firmware 2.5.1.8 before the daily disconnect issue began?

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Been users seeing problems with Circle app enabled recently. Disabling seems to have helped them. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Circle-frequent-DNS-failures/td-p/1879132/jump-to/f...

Let us know how it goes. 

The issue with Orbi AX was a NG cloud issue that was behind the scene that NG fixed. It was NOT a FW issue. 

@ValleyDad wrote:

Message 15 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Been users seeing problems with Circle app enabled recently. Disabling seems to have helped them. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Circle-frequent-DNS-failures/td-p/1879132/jump-to/f...

Let us know how it goes. 

The issue with Orbi AX was a NG cloud issue that was behind the scene that NG fixed. It was NOT a FW issue. 

I'm sure they'll be gald to know this over in the Orbi AX forum.  

Message 16 of 22
ValleyDad
Aspirant

Regarding date of FW update, I usually only admin from my App and I don't see where the date of applocation is listed. 

Do I need to logon to the router from a browser?  If so, must I do so from a LAN connection or can I do it over home WiFi?  Which was is preferred?

I'l look at the my manual and see what it says.  As soon as I have the info, I will respond.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, from a PC or laptop connected wired or wireless. 

Message 18 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@ValleyDad wrote:

Regarding date of FW update, I usually only admin from my App and I don't see where the date of applocation is listed. 

Do I need to logon to the router from a browser?  If so, must I do so from a LAN connection or can I do it over home WiFi?  Which was is preferred?

As far as I know, the only way to learn when the firmware was last updated is to telnet into the Orbi router and display one of the parameters.  This requires a couple of steps:

• From any web browser, connect to the Orbi router "debug" page and enable Telnet.
    This is usually http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm
    On the web page, toward the bottom, check the box labelled "Enable Telnet"
  • Open any telnet program and connect to the Orbi router.
    Wiindows has a built-in Telnet client that can be enabled from the Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or off.
    There are other telnet clients (My favorite is called PuTTY.)
    On my Android devices, I use JuiceSSH (and set the connection to telnet).
  • Once connected to the Orbi router:
    Enter the user name: admin
    Enter the administrative password:
    Type this command:  nvram show | grep update_time
    (What this means is "Show all of the Orbi parameters and process them through the "grep" program to find all with a string that matches "update_time".)
  • On my Orbi, this results in:
    root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep update_time
    update_time=2020_2.29_23:0:2
    Which I believe stands for year 2020, month 2 (Feb), day 29, and time 23:0:2 (late at night).

I really appreciate your interest in doing this, even though it may not result in any benefit to you.  There are very strong opinions on the forum about the most recent Orbi firmware (2.5.1.8).  A number of frequent posters have been using 2.5.1.8 for months (in my cases since Feb 29) with no apparent ill effects.  Others report ghastly situations, with frequent drops in WiFi or internet, programs unable to connect to web sites, (there are l-o-n-g posts).

What I seek to do is learn if there is a direct link between installing this firmware and problems appearing.  i.e. install 2.5.1.8 and within days the Orbi goes all to hell.  If that is not the case, then "what's different" between the circumstances of those without problems and those with problems?

Many people cannot devote any time & effort to this effort because their "work at home with sequestered family" requires constant WiFi use.  In that case, a number of people have reported that downloading 2.3.5.30 from the Netgear support site and manually loading it on the Orbi have made their Orbi's usable.

Sorry to drone on and on.  The cat says, "enough already"

Message 19 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

Sorry to drone on and on.  The cat says, "enough already"

here let me help.....IF IT AINT BROKE STOP WITH THE MANUAL FIRMWARE UPDATES.....as you the end user

Message 20 of 22
XTerra1000
Tutor

Sorry for the delay but i'm back to report that disabling Circle in my router config appears to have corrected the disconnect/DNS issue that I was experiencing.  It's now been a week or so since making the change and I have had zero instances of the "[Internet disconnected] in my router logs from 4/3/2020 thru 4/8/2020

This is good news and bad.  The interesting thing is that before my last firmware upgrade, I had been running Circle with no problems.  So I'm still suspicious that something related to running v2.5.1.8 and Circle together, results in the issue.

For now, i'll go cancel my Circle subscription but if a future firmware update is released, I'll likely try re-enabling Circle and see if the issue returns.

Also, I run my router and single RBS50 about 40 ft apart (RBR50 in the garage and RBS50 on the same floor in the kitchen) since someone asked about distance between the two.

Thanks all for the quick offers/input to help and suggestion to try disabling Circle as it appears to have worked.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working again. This is an issue with Circle and not FW. Info was passed to NG. We saw similar issues over on the Orbi AX Forum. Something NG fixed on there side of the fence in the cloud area was the result of people complaing about a FW update on 3/9 that broke there systems. 3/19 NG fixed it. Wasn't a FW problem. 

After you cancel  your subscription, be sure to make a back up configuration to file. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@XTerra1000 wrote:

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7