Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 firmware will not update

wolekudc
Guide

ORBI RBR50 firmware will not update

I have an ORBI RBR50 and the firmware will not update. Latest firmware version is: v2.3.1.60. Mine is still at: v1.4.0.18... Have tried loging on via internet and via app, neither one allows me to update.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
wolekudc
Guide

Re: ORBI RBR50 firmware will not update

Thought it was fixed, but figured out that the satellites are now not working. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Are you trying to update "from the web" or from a firmware file that has been downloaded from Netgear to your computer that is attached to the Orbi?

Message 2 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

Both. When I try to do it automatically "from the web", it just says no update available... I found the downloadable update v2.2.1.212 to do a manual update (which then requires an immediate update to a newer version), but when I attempt to install it manually, it only allows me to pick the satellites, and not the router...

Message 3 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

Here is a pic of the manual update screen

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

From the attached picture, it appears you are on the Auto Update tab, rather than the Manual Update tab.

My practice (which may not be correct, but I always do it) is to connect directly to the satellite and perform the firmware update on it.

Then, I connect to the router and update it.  (of course, you have to go through this two times to get "current")

Message 5 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

First pic was of the auto update and second was from manual... Manual just shows satellites and not the router.

Message 6 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the process is (1) use the browse button to locate the firmware file on your computer,  (2) click on the "upload" button to copy the file to the router, and (3) that will start the firmware update.  (It has been months and months since I did this last.)

Message 7 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

That is the problem, it won't give me the option to install the update on the router.

Message 8 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you take a screen shot after finding the file with "Browse" and then clicking "Upload"?

Message 9 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

It says firmware file is incorrect... It came directly from the ORBI RBR50 page though. I'll try skipping it and going directly to the newest version...

That didn't work -- VERY frustrating. My complementary support just expired about 2 weeks ago as well.

Message 10 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@wolekudc wrote:

It says firmware file is incorrect... It came directly from the ORBI RBR50 page though. I'll try skipping it and going directly to the newest version...

Sorry.  It is impossible to update from a release earlier than 2.2.1.212 to the latest release.  There was a file size limitation in the earlier firmware that refuses to accept a larger file.  Netgear fixed that problem in 2.2.1.212, which then allows it to install the latest version.  The only reason for 2.2.1.212 was to make that file size fix.

It is also sort of annoying that Netgear has different firmware files for the router and satellite.  (One would have thought that the update process would be smart enough to figure out "which part" of the file goes with each model.)

Message 11 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

Correct. Is there another update I need to install before I can install .212 I wonder? Like I said in first post, I'm at v1.4.0.18. (This was purchased from Costco in Feb of this year.)

Message 12 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

It's also a bit annoying that we have to unzip the file we download before using it.  (other products I have automatically "unzip" by themselves.)

Message 13 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@wolekudc wrote:

Correct. Is there another update I need to install before I can install .212 I wonder? Like I said in first post, I'm at v1.4.0.18. (This was purchased from Costco in Feb of this year.)

I do not think so. Wow, that box sat at Costco for a long time!

Message 14 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

I figured it out. I had to find, download, and install v2.0.0.74 manually. Then it automatically updated to v2.3.1.60 -- it skipped v2.2.1.212 completely. 

Message 15 of 16
wolekudc
Guide

Thought it was fixed, but figured out that the satellites are now not working. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7