Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 gets disconnected from internet as well as from satellite

ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 gets disconnected from internet as well as from satellite

Hi,

I have Orbi for about 3.5 months and I am not liking it at all. The Orbi router RBR50 gets disconnected from internet as well as from the satellites. I was told to update the FW on other post and I did that. It worked uninterrupted for 3-4 days and again it started the same thing. I tried changing the channels and made some small changes but no impact.

I am spending more time on setting up Orbi than my work and now I am frustrated. I will go back to my ISP router which was extremely smooth. I switched to Orbi for two reasons. 1) there was a small dead spot in my house and to have the security on the internet. Now I regret my decision.

Can someone help come out of this frustration and help me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

Re: ORBI RBR50 gets disconnected from internet as well as from satellite

Sorry, somehow it shows RBK50 in product list I own but I have RBR50 (Router) and RBS50 (Satellite)

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 gets disconnected from internet as well as from satellite

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch since the FW update? 

@ORBIisJUNK wrote:

Hi,

I have Orbi for about 3.5 months and I am not liking it at all. The Orbi router RBR50 gets disconnected from internet as well as from the satellites. I was told to update the FW on other post and I did that. It worked uninterrupted for 3-4 days and again it started the same thing. I tried changing the channels and made some small changes but no impact.

I am spending more time on setting up Orbi than my work and now I am frustrated. I will go back to my ISP router which was extremely smooth. I switched to Orbi for two reasons. 1) there was a small dead spot in my house and to have the security on the internet. Now I regret my decision.

Can someone help come out of this frustration and help me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7