Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 in AP mode; can I use ethernet backhaul via coax MOCA?

ipswichclam
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 in AP mode; can I use ethernet backhaul via coax MOCA?

I just switced my Orbi to AP mode to avoid double NAT issues with an existing Engenius outdoor AP.

I want to try Ethernet backhaul with one of the satellites which is physcially far from the other Orbi units. Here is my proposed set up:

COAX MOCA network connect to FIOS; one node is the Actiontec router, the other nodes are MOCA adpaters that provide an Ethernet connection, and devices like Tivos that take both internet and video from the MOCA coax.

The ORBI base is attached directly to the Actiontec router. The satellite with ethernet backhaul would plug in to an ethernet MOCA adapter.  I can "see" things like the Tivos using Moca over the Orbi web interface and app (they appear as "wired").

I tried this setup briefly and I didn't seem to connect reliably, but since I just switched to AP mode, I thought I observe the the network for a while before I introduce another variable.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 in AP mode; can I use ethernet backhaul via coax MOCA?

What happens if you disable Daisy Chain, save settings and reboot the entire system. I'd give 5-10 minutes for the system to settle down. Then test again. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-with-Engenius-Outdoor-AP-should-I-adjust-settings-mode/m-...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7