Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 internet in and out

Killobyte
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 internet in and out

A little about my home. I have a basement, mid level and upstairs. My home is 3,200 sq ft.

My modem and Orbi is in the basement. I have AT&T Fiber 1GB down and I get very close to that with a wired connection.

On the mid level at opposite end of Orbi I have an Orbi satellite behind my TV. Upstairs I have another Satellite on the same side of my base, again opposite side of the house as my mid level Orbi Satellite. All lights are green on the Orbi App. 

When I am upstairs I get about 95% stable internet. Some days it is inconsistent, but mostly up and running.

When I am on mid level I get sporadic connection noticeable by my iPad wifi going in and out constantly. It is almost like it cannot decide which satellite to connect to. I notice this with my iPhone and other devices as well so I have ruled out my iPad.

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 internet in and out

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Satellites should not be place behind or near other electronic devices. These can cause interference being too close to each other.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
Killobyte
Aspirant

Those are good questions. I will need to look when I get home. One additional question.

Right now the base is in the basement and a satellite is on mid floor and additional satellite upstairs in top floor. I do have an ethernet cable going from modem to the mid floor. Would I be better served having my cable modem go a 25 ft cable to orbi base station planted on mid floor and having a satellite in basement and upstairs so the base station is more centrally located or should I leave it how it is now with the base station in basement and running to both satellites?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the main base should be the main floor for best operation. Basements tent to be problematic for wifi. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7