Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR50 wifi issue

Mariebrba
Follower

ORBI RBR50 wifi issue

Home installation: One Orbi router RBR50 connected to 3 Orbi satellites RBS50. 

Router firmware is at this moment V2.5.1.8. I had trouble updating through the app and had to use the webbrowser. 

MAIN PROBLEM: Losing connection randomly and very often. 

OTHER PROBLEMS:

-No new firmware available on app or webbrowser, yet there is on the netgear website...

-Internet connection status on the app vs the webbrowser aren't the same : "Offline" =/= "GOOD"...

Ever since installation 2(?) years ago we have hade trouble with losing connection ad random. Most of the time it would solve itself after a few sec/min, but other times I rebooted through the app or pulled the plug out of the router and waited a bit with inserting it again. Any of those would fix the problem, for a while. 

There are times we lose connection more often than others. For a year or so it went alright. 

I think the problems re-occured because of the new firmware update that needed to happen. But since we did the update to V2.5.1.8 we have had the "Offline" status atleast once a day. Reading on the forum about the Connection Status of the router and re-newing the lease fixes the problem instantly that is what I have been doing for the past few weeks. 

However, this can't be normal, can it? 

What can I do to fix this problem permanently? 

I did notice there is a new update online, yet on my webbrowser and through the app it says my router is up to date. 

Another "off-"thing is the fact that when we lose connection, the app clearly states "Internet: Offline", yet when I go to the webbrowser (to renew that lease) it always says "Internet connection: GOOD".  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Your issue is, unfortunately, fairly common. The iOS app and the web browser app do not always report the same status–this is a known bug that has not been addressed by Netgear.

Many have found that, after a firmware update, a factory reset and manual re-initilaization of your system will helped solve the drop out issues. This is a tedious process but seems to clear any conflicting bits of code that may be leftover from previous fimrware installs. Be certain to always update your satellites first then the router. Factory reset each satellite then the router and, finally, reconfigure your system as you like.

DO NOT use a backup config file to reset your system to its normal configuration. This would defeat the purpose of the factory reset as it might re-introduce the conflicting code to your system and allow the drop out issue to continue. 

Again, this seems to work for most people (myself included). Another "best practice" that seems to minimize issues is setting up IP reservations for each one of your devices. I also allow the ORBI plenty of "settling time" between any changes to the system, e.g., wait at least 15 minutes between any system configuration changes to see if the web browser reports the changes correctly.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

here's your problem......V2.5.1.8

revert back to your previous version and stop performing manual updates

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Please factory reset and setup from scratch as suggested. FW is not the problem. 

You can upgrade to v16 if needed or last resort. Working well for me. 

@Mariebrba wrote:

Home installation: One Orbi router RBR50 connected to 3 Orbi satellites RBS50. 

Router firmware is at this moment V2.5.1.8. I had trouble updating through the app and had to use the webbrowser. 

MAIN PROBLEM: Losing connection randomly and very often. 

OTHER PROBLEMS:

-No new firmware available on app or webbrowser, yet there is on the netgear website...

-Internet connection status on the app vs the webbrowser aren't the same : "Offline" =/= "GOOD"...

Ever since installation 2(?) years ago we have hade trouble with losing connection ad random. Most of the time it would solve itself after a few sec/min, but other times I rebooted through the app or pulled the plug out of the router and waited a bit with inserting it again. Any of those would fix the problem, for a while. 

There are times we lose connection more often than others. For a year or so it went alright. 

I think the problems re-occured because of the new firmware update that needed to happen. But since we did the update to V2.5.1.8 we have had the "Offline" status atleast once a day. Reading on the forum about the Connection Status of the router and re-newing the lease fixes the problem instantly that is what I have been doing for the past few weeks. 

However, this can't be normal, can it? 

What can I do to fix this problem permanently? 

I did notice there is a new update online, yet on my webbrowser and through the app it says my router is up to date. 

Another "off-"thing is the fact that when we lose connection, the app clearly states "Internet: Offline", yet when I go to the webbrowser (to renew that lease) it always says "Internet connection: GOOD".  

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

already working the FW issue

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements