Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR50

dmccoy
Tutor

ORBI RBR50

I've been having trouble with my ORBI RBR50 losing internet connection frequently (several times a week and sometimes multiple times a day).  It has the latest firmware update (V2.5.1.8).  I do not have a modem and only one satellite.  There is a straight connection into the router from my ISP.  Any ideas/suggestions?  TIA

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Do both wired and wireless connections go down?

Have you ask the ISP to reset there side connection hardware? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? You might give this a try with the RBR. 

Don't enable any Circle or Armor features...

Message 2 of 9
dmccoy
Tutor

1. Just the wireless connections drop.  Wired connections are fine.

2. I have not spoken to ISP yet due to #1.

3. At this moment, I am only showing one other wireless network available which shows as a hidden network.  Occasionally, I will see a couple of other neghbor networks show up.

I have not tried the factory reset yet.  That was going to be my last resort.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. v2.5.1.8 works well for me and others. 

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dmccoy wrote:

I've been having trouble with my ORBI RBR50 losing internet connection frequently (several times a week and sometimes multiple times a day).  It has the latest firmware update (V2.5.1.8).  I do not have a modem and only one satellite.  There is a straight connection into the router from my ISP.  Any ideas/suggestions?  TIA

here's your problem:  V2.5.1.8

others meant to mention that 

Message 5 of 9
dmccoy
Tutor

Here's another thing I totally forgot to mention. The router loses internet connection but the satellite does not. See attached screenshot.
Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dmccoy wrote:
Here's another thing I totally forgot to mention. The router loses internet connection but the satellite does not. See attached screenshot.

that looks like the app which I wouldn't trust

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? It would be a good step to start to see if the RBR can be come stable. It's a valid trouble shooting step that needs to be tried. 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Try some of the suggestions as well. 

@dmccoy wrote:

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Try some of the suggestions as well. 

@dmccoy wrote:

Factory reset is NOT required.

A better FW is.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7